Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all.

New guy here. If y'all can stand it and not immediately drum me out of the society, I'm kind of a cafe racer cheater...my bike's a 2001 Kawasaki W650. I would absolutely love to own a vintage Triumph or Beemer or Guzzi, but a man has to know his limitations, and mine is that I'm essentially useless with a wrench. Try as I might, 90% of what I attempt ends up with a repair bill from a professional and a wife angrily advising me to lower my voice and stop throwing things around the garage. So I have learned to limit myself to oil changes and minor-league cosmetic stuff.

If we can all agree to get past this pitiful situation, let's get to my question.

So while lusting over a pic of a sweet CB750 recently, I noticed how dramatic the effect was from eliminating the fenders. I figure, if I can get through certain issues (such as figuring out how to access certain bolts without removing my front wheel, and re-rigging up the rear lights/plate assembly) I might be able to pull it off. So I looked all over the web for some photos of others who had done it to the same model to see what they did...and out of hundred and hundreds of photos, I only found 2 without fenders, and 1 was a track bike. So I started to worry, what do all these people know that I don't know?

I assume that more sand/grit/water is going to be kicked up, and as long as it's not sandblasting insanity I can live with that. But is there anything else I should know about? Am I about to make a major mistake where I'll never pass inspection again and every grain of sand is going to blow a hole through my jacket?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
138 Posts
changing lanes on the freeway without a front fender(fork brace) is scary sometimes.....also its amazing how bad a pebble feels when it hits you at 60 mph.....

ditch the rear, keep the front....thats MY opinion, but it really depends on how much yer gonna ride, and how comfortable you need to be....mine is stripped to nuthin, but you NEED the front brace at least, even if you chop it really small, and just tough out the flyin pebbles(i do)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Sadly, I don't see chopping the fenders as an option. There are a lot of "relic"-ing projects I'd like to do to this thing, like repainting the tank with primer for example...but it's not like this thing is an early 80's CB...they're kinda hard to find. I mean it's not like a one-in-a-million rarity or anything but I think only a couple thousand came into the US, and I've never seen another one in person, and I've been looking for years. Parts don't even come up on eBay very often, I don't think I've ever seen a replacement tank for example. Mine's in flawless factory condition and I'd feel like some kinda heretic making non-reversable changes to it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
coward

you are talking about a bike that:

1) you can still walk into kawasaki and order new parts for (like a spare tank, seat, etc).
2) that in europe there is a fair amount of retro bolt on stuff for (gimmie the weekend and I'll get you some links, I remember looking them up when I was looking at buying one)

if you really want to make changes go search out a wrecked one and rebuild that. Primer and flat black is kinda gay by the way, now that all the pousers think that that is what makes a bike tough.

reminds me of the 90's when all the street rod guys started tinting primer for that "suede look". Peach and teal colored primer - that is the ticket!

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 13 2007 6:22:00 PM

·
Registered
237 Posts
quote:
if you really want to make changes go search out a wrecked one and rebuild that. and flat black is kinda gay by the way, now that all the pousers think that that is what makes a bike tough
I couldn't agree more with the flat black, my bike was flat black and while most agreed it looked cool, I started seeing to many people doing it. I did it for a reason, I couldn't afford a real paint job!

Anyways this stuff isn't hard at all. Doing custom stuff is though, and only unique people have creativity. That doesn't mean you can't look at something and say "I like that" and add it to your bike

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
luchy,

welcome! well i have to tell you that you just hit the preverbial motorcycle lotto. you said in your earlier post: "but it's not like this thing is an early 80's CB...they're kinda hard to find. I mean it's not like a one-in-a-million rarity or anything but I think only a couple thousand came into the US, and I've never seen another one in person, and I've been looking for years."

fuckin' jackpot my brother.

for sale, 1980 CB750 F Supersport. $1200.00 Come on down to Philly and pick her up pronto!

more pics available via email: [email protected]

cheers,

tex

Note to tex - fixed your pics but you should know better dood! lower case.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 13 2007 6:53:06 PM

·
Registered
687 Posts
one thing i haven't seen mentioned yet is the shit spray your going to get in the face every time you run through water. i'd say vision is one of the better reasons to keep a fender.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and tex, i think he meant that his bike wasnt one of a million early 80's cb's. not it is like one of a million cbs.

he has the wr650.

i have seen a few of them though.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
joe,

oh, and i was all excited too.....

your like a fuckin' wet blanket!

jd should change your screen name to that.

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i still like your bike. and no, i wont buy it.

tx, come ride with the swarm sometime. we'll get you drunk, tattooed, and fab a gas tank for you. well. maybe one of those things. remember that mexican joint you ate at? the 2 guy who ownes that rides with us.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
the one with the punk rockers, gay waiters, and strong margaritas?!?

cool!

texy

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
joe,

wait till you see my new street bike. it is coming together very nicely! if ebay goes well over this weekend, i'll have some new dunstalls for it.

sweet!

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yep, thats the place. one of the guys who works there and rides a cb500 with us is on the warped tour. the guy who ownes the place also ownes a place down the street called rocket to venus. they got the name from a failed attempt 2 guys made to fly a cloth covered gasoline powered wooden rocket to venus in the 30's it caught fire and burned a large part of the neighborhood down. but yeah, we usually meet in the neighborhood to ride, go for coffee at our usually spot out on some back country roads, then meet back at one of the places for brunch or beers or whatever. ross usually rides with us too. make a point to gt down before the winter. oh yeah, rosko, you gotta hit too. actually, the invitation is open to anyone who wants to show up. we even usually have a spare bike around.

jc

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
texman
don't do it! brunch and a beer? ...he's trying to lure you into "that crowd". "rocket to ^enis" doesn't just serve mex. it's kind of a gray primer/flat black kinda place if you know what i mean. it's like clubmans in "new yawk friggin city". just ask geetoo69.
parks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i think hes mistaken one of the places where turnbull goes. iremember someone telling me be careful of mums. cuz the bmw and eurobike crowd hangs there. and you know how dangerous those guys are. i just fgured theyd all be sitting around comparing their black shirts and jeans.

jc

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
sometimes cough syrup is just the right thing.
parks
ps...luchynoob; fenders are really good things...you really don't want to loose them. in the front, " the look " can be had with some careful searching (junkyards) for one which is meant for a smaller tire therefore yields a tighter clearence. then cut the ends back to a sexier length and finally paint it black (not flat black...see above). the fender can essentially disappear if done right. you'll probabley have to make mods to the mounts (if you're lucky) or make new ones (can be tough). the rear is usually easier... a good "bob job" of the original goes a long way to give you the look. if your rear fender is a nice example, save it and get a salvage one to trash instead.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
man, I went riding with a buddy who was riding his 'bobbed' triumph. No fenders, low, you know the drill. Well we are about 30 minutes from home when it starts POURING rain. buckets. I look over and man did he look cool rolling down the highway sitting in the middle of the double rooster tail! I gotta add that he wore a puddin bowl and no goggles. Hilarious.

He didn't skip a beat though, gotta give him that.

Do what Parks said (always do what Parks says), get some extra fenders and experiment! Lucky for you I have some for sale down in the parts section!

Hooray for me.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, well, as to the coward bit and similar, I’ll smile and accept as typical and necessary abuse-the-new-guy whipping. I also raise my finger in salute.

Just a quick bit of defense for the purposes of explanation, and that’s it:
I’ve got 2 jobs and 2 kids under 2 years old, so I get my 2-wheel time in a half-hour at a time, when the stars align and I can shoehorn it in. I enjoy a hands-on project but if the choice is scouring junkyards for parts, OR tinkering, OR riding, these days I’m choosing the reliable “poser” bike on the road rather than hanging out in the garage with a bike that might never actually get running properly. The primer/flat thing, well, I could give a rat’s ass for if it’s trendy right now or if Geeto thinks it’s “gay” or if everybody else here loathes it from overexposure. My first truck was primer black and I loved it, my first bike was half primer gray and I loved it, both were beat to hell and “earned the look”. I dig the ratty, room-for-improvement look from the rotted-out factories around my town to the dented pickup in my driveway and have no interest in shiny chrome and glossy flamejob candy paint…otherwise I’d be on some OCC forum instead of here, eh?

Now, onward.

I can see the points about experimenting with spares in the interest of retaining some kind of fender protection. I would figure there’s not much to the front fender so with a bit of luck and some time bending tin and drilling extra holes I’ll be able to get something to fit, at least enough to keep the elements at bay. The rear, however…that seat stretches back pretty far and I would think would provide all the flying debris protection I’d really need…plus everything’s shoehorned in there much tighter so I’d need to be much more exacting with the clearance to cobble a non-original fender in there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts