Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do with your fiberglass tanks when you have to leave the bike outside in the hot sun? mine doesn't have a vent on it, but i'm worried about it getting too much pressure built up inside and cracking it, or forcing fuel past the closed petcock. i actually don't know what could happen.

so today i popped the lid for the 8 hours i'll be in work.

is that overkill, or good practice?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it doesn't have a vent how does gas get out of the tank? Are you sure the lid isn't vented?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
if it were not vented you'd run out of fuel, have lean running and hear a sucking hiss when you open the cap!

but then again your tank and fuel inside could get very hot and it may spew fuel, when you open the cap, like the new 1125 Buells seem to do

neither situation would be good

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't here a hiss, but it does seem to run lean lately. sometimes i'll get some sputtering when i'm at part throttle almost like its running out of fuel. Upgrading this gas tank has caused me more grief then anything else i've done to the bike. The po painted it and go all sorts of paint inside the tank. that was the first issue with it.
the next issue with it was the petcock hitting the frame and the carb linkage rod when installed on the bike. so i grinded away some of the rod and dented the frame for more clearance.

then the resin from the 35 yr old fiberglass started to make the carbs stick. so i cleaned the carbs and coated the tank with caswell tank sealer.

then the petcock (which is unique and i can't find another one) started leaking where the nipples are pressed into the petcock. I'm currently living with this small leak. to be honest i'm tired of removing the f'ing tank all the time.

now i have this issue. I think i'll drill som holes in the f'ker

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
petcock nips used to leak on mine... i glued them in with an epoxy adhesive. no issues ever since.

if you leave your tank open.... kinda are letting all the good stuff in your gas to evaporate into the atmosphere...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts