Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the paper that ethanol blended gas is causing a lot of problems w/fiberglass tank. The ethanol dissolves some of the resins used to build the tank and gums up carbs, injectors and engines. Eventually liberated fiber clogs up all kinds of stuff, fuel lines, filters, et.al. California reports that many marine tanks are coming apart and leaking gas is causing significant problems at marinas. I don't have one but I've seen several posts (either here or over on the SOHC forum) where people are using them. Check your tanks or avoid blend fuels if you have one. Just some info....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yeah, i had to line mine with cawell tank sealer. i used the goddamn can of it too. i was having issues with my slides sticking in the bores. it wasn't the safest felling on my bike when i let of the throttle but the bike kept accelerating!

that caswell stuff is pretty cool. added a shinny layer of plastic to the insid eof the tank.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Ask Monkey (Matt) about it. It's the type of resin used in the tanks. I think it's the polyester that's crap, but the good stuff is fine, even with race fuels. The good stuff is the "Marine" grade epoxy resin.... I think.
JohnnyB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts