Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mildly entertaining the thought of doing this. I was thinking of making a male mold. I would put a few layers over it, cut in in half to get it off the mold, then do a few more layers over that. Finish it up by sloshing some resin around inside the tank for a good seal.

A few questions
1. I know it would be easiest to start with a stock tank for the tunnel, petcock and filler, but I'm concerned about the difference in expansion/contraction between the steel and fiberglass.

2. Does gas (just regular pump gas) eat fiberglass? If yes, how do I seal the tank? Kreme?

3. Any here ever done this before? Succesfully?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I know you need to use good quality epoxy resin...not the polyester resin sold most places. Usually Marine supply houses have the good stuff...like "West Systems" epoxy.

I tried to make on glass tank...it was a freakin disaster.

JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
west systems is the shizzle my nizzle!

too bad it's so freakin' expensive.

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
west rules. i have a couple gallons of it at the shop. where my dad used to work, they got it by the 55gal drum! its awesome for exterior work. im building the dreaded fence with it. i built some doors for a place near the harbor and when the hurricane came through they were submerged under 2' of water. they still look great and held. it kicks ass. you can figure on about 110-125 for a gal and a 1/4 for it mixed up. but its the balls. you can do all kinds of crazy shit with it. even patch holes in engine cases. any marine supplier will have it. west marine, boat us etc...

jc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts