Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so I thought I was ready. did some reading, went to TAP plastics, talked their ear off, bought the shit, and ran into a problem. I'm confused about how to protect the foam mold. apparently there are 2 kinds of foam, styrene and urethane. polyester resin will eat up the styrene, which is apparently the type of foam I have, and of course the resin they sold me. and, I confirmed this with a test piece of foam today. Reading on the net says you can use epoxy resin, as it will not harm the foam. But I'm not to sure about that either and not about to go waste more money, especially since the polyester resin is a little better strength, heat protection and easier to use. But, I'm confused...because certain articles I've read have talked about gel coating the foam and doing the fiberglass layups on top of that surface. but they don't go into specifics. does anybody know exactly what I should be looking for? I'm assuming that I need to put some kind of coating on the foam for a few reasons
1. to protect it from disolving from the resin
2. so that I can prepare the surface a little better...make it smoother and fill in any imperfections in the foam
3. so that I can actually separate the fiberlgass layup from the 'plug' mold
if anybody knows, or has a good link to an article I would appreciate it, as I've tried my best and my brain hurts. every article I read is a litte different, and nothing I've found is specifically for this application. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
a very light, even coat of bondo works if you're just going to keep the foam plug in place... i've seen guys use tape to seperate a lay-up from a plug. do a search. i remember some good threads on fiberglassing tanks.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are making a gas tank, epoxy resin is fuel proof where polyester resin is not.

Also, you could probably protect your foam core with a few coats of latex house paint. You can get a gallon of it in Home Depot or Lowes from the "oops" section for $3-7 bucks.....

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts