Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question...my xs400 has 2 mikuni constant velocity carbs. when I bought the bike, it already had uni pod filters on it, and before we started tear down it seemd to run fine at all ranges of the power band. If I replaced those with K&N pods, should I be ok or will that cause a need for adjustment?
I've never played with carb settings before, have the haynes manual which walks you through it, but any advice from people who've done it would be helpful...as you always encounter a problem that the manual doesn't prep you for.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just added Uni's to my XS400, and will be changing to K&N's as soon as the folks I go through have them in stock. The most you'll have to do is rejet it up a size, just check your plugs before adding them, run it some afterwards and see if it leaned it out. I doubt it will be noticable. I rejetted my carbs after adding the Uni's and it was very easy. I actually removed the carbs from the engine to do it (and clean them) and the hardest part of the whole operation was getting the throttle cable loose from its little slot.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Actually, I encountered some weirdness with my pods. The UNIs I got were for a 53-55mm (PK-92), I've read xs400's take a 48mm K&N, but I calipered it at 49.5mm or so. Anyone know a K&N Part number for the actual ones that fit? If they are different from what I figured them to be, I may be able to get them sooner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts