Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!

Last time I was here, my kz550 was rotting under a tarp and my little girl was just born and pretty much took up all 26 hours of my day
Now, 5 years later, I'm a grown ass man with a wife (same woman) mortgage and a steady job, and we're trying for another kid.
So of course I need to keep the tradition gong and buy another motorcycle, but THIS time, I'm doing it right. Mostly

Every so often a local bike mechanic I respect buys a shit pile from some kid's "build" and unfucks it to flip.
This winter he bought a 82 Yamaha 550 seca and got it back together, cleaned up and running. Stock, except for a couple things. The good is a stainless brake line. The bad is emgo shitpods and upside down clubmans.
I bought it for $1500. A little too much for an "almost done" project, but it's a freaking seca. I've had lucid dreams of this bike since Kenessex posted pics of his.
I'll add pics as soon as the upside down clubmans are gone. The shop is swapping those out for superbike bars as part of the sale.

First step: check shims and replace if needed. at 30,000 miles it's probably due.
Second step: Ride it all season. Build hatred for Pods.
Third step: replace pods with stock airbox at end of season. If I can spare the cash, Dyno before and after to show how much they retard the bike, and for a handy infographic to show other n00bs.

It's good to be back.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the shocks. I have Progressives on my Seca and they work fine on the track. I have some stock type parts sitting around. I have stock wheels, most of an exhaust a red front fender and maybe a few other parts if you need them. I also have a spare parts motor if you need anything, the top end is torn down and the bottom end is still together. I have robbed the valve cover and a few of the cam hold down pieces. the bores are toast, but the head is good. I am running a MAC 4-1 for a Seca 650-900 on mine. it fits fine with a little manipulating of the head pipe spacing on installation.

Are you going to do any performance upgrades?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to do any performance upgrades?
As far as upgrades, the only thing on my list for the next year is an EBC floating rotor. K&N air filters or an airbox if you want to count that.

I might eventually change sprockets depending on how I end up riding the thing. The fastest I'll hit around here is 75mph so I might want to gear for that.

Riding this weekend, my ass dyno really isn't feeling that much power. I don't think the PO rejetted when he slapped on the carbs. this gives me hope that when I get something less restrictive it won't need much work.

I'll let you know if I need any parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bike.jpg bike2.jpg Pics. It has progressive shocks. It has decent bars.
I will start a "build" thread later but honestly it's just going to be hunting down an airbox and bringing it back to factory performance. And maybe hagons.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
good looking seca.

fix it, ride it, upgrade it. Let it tell you what it needs (like probably more brake). I forget if any of the 600's have parts interchange here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts