Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem before, the screws for the cap on my Keihins were stuck and almost stripped them trying to get them out. At that time I just gave the carbs to my buddy and asked him to finish rebuiding them. I mentioned to him the other night that I thought the bike may be running lean and asked if I'd have any trouble with those screws and he said I shouldn't, I am.
They're stuck again!!!! They're 6mm long and I'm assuming I can get some at the local big box store but I don't want to risk stripping the threads drilling them out. Someone mentioned an impact driver last time and I can run down and pick one up but my fear is slamming into my carbs might screw up float levels, screw other shit up etc...
Any advice?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Impact drivers rarely work on carbs, you are more likely to break a flange off than unscrew anything.
If screws have a small 'dot' punched into them, they are JIS and need a JIS screwdriver, standard Phillips will round them out.
It's usually posible to use a small flat punch to tap the chewed up edges back into shape, then carefully re-form 'cross' by tapping a Phillips screwdriver bit into the burred over edges

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, got em off. I just cut a straight with the dremel and used a flat head. I'll get new screws.

I'm soooo stupidly lost with these carbs. They have a diaphram which I knew but I don't see how to adjust it. It doesn't have the little notched stem like the slide carb on my kart engine. Help for a carb moron? Anyone? Also, good source for jets for Keihens? I see most places sell them for HD's. My carbs are 35mm but I hav no idea the model. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Jet-R-Us for jets.
Needle probably isn't adjustable, there should be a screw in plug holding it in place.
What bike are they for? (KZ440?)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes crazypj, they are for a KZ440. And yes, there is a screw in plug holding them in place. Is the only way to adjust mixture with jets? And of course, I can't make out the size of the jet; it looks like there is something etched on there but I cant make it out, not even with a magnifying glass (damn eyes).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey Mickey, did you ever take a look at KZ400.com? Tons of info there (such as downloadable service manuals and specs for everything), plus a whole 'nother forum to leech for info.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks dielecric. I have been to that site, it's on my favorites. I've got the info on jetting in my manual (#68 main, IIRC) but I can't say for sure thats whats in there without being able to see for sure. I guess I'll just get a couple jets up and down to be safe. Besides, I plan to make a 2 into 1 over the winter so I'll likely need to rejet all over again. As for the model carb, I guess it's a CV36 (I measured 35 but I could be wrong). I'll call Jets R Us tuesday and confirm.

I really hate having my bike down for any period of time, especially now that the weather is nice but I also don't like riding it when I know it's not running correctly. I've got a few other things to do while I wait for jets (shocks are coming next week, and I have the brake side of my FZ rearsets and the shifter should be here next week as well) so that'll keep me busy until then. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have the majority of these things sorted out and then I can enjoy the bike for a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts