Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fire up my bike, doesn't seem to have spark. Has compression and fuel so...what are some test I can run to preclude condensor, coil, operator error. Thanks, by the way how do you post pictures here, I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
make sure your switches are working. i had a engine stop switch that had a loose wire and took me 2 days to find it. have you tried using a spare plug in the end of the wire to see if it sparks when you kick it? got a good fully charged battery? just a couple things to try/think about.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550
'76 cb750

·
Registered
278 Posts
You should do a search of this site - there's lots of commentary on this issue, pretty standard. But in order of likelihood:

- Your battery isn't charged. Charge it.
- Your switch isn't on. Turn it on and make sure your lights work.
- Your main fuse (in fact, your only fuse) is blown. It's in the battery compartment. If your battery's charged and your lights don't work, check the fuse.
- Your plugs are fouled. They'll look black and ugly. Replace.
- Your points have sagged. Your points are held open by an elliptical cam and sprung to return. Points fire when they open. It's very common for the springs, over time, to force the points into a position where they never open. Remove your points cover. Pull the left spark plug wire off of the plug and put another plug on the end. Ground the end of the plug against the engine (carefully) and push the left point open with a screwdriver. If the plug sparks every time you disconnect the points, everything works except your points. Test the other side the same way. Retime your bike and set the point gap. If that doesn't fix the problem, replace your points.
- Your plug boots have failed. Test with known good ones.
- Your plug wires have corroded at the boot connection. The boots screw into the wire - they just have a screw that burrows into the wire core. Remove the boots, cut half an inch of the end of the plug wire and reattach. Don't cut off too much, those coils don't have replaceable wires.
- Coils rarely fail, and it's extremely unlikely that they would both fail. If it comes to this (it won't), ask again and I'll tell you how to test them.

Keep us posted on what you've tried so we can narrow down the issue.

A

Edited by - xander450 on Oct 21 2007 6:02:00 PM

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
This is not directed at any individual, it is just a general observation for those that are trying to get the members to diagnose a mystery problem that they can't find for themselves.
Diagnostics is not a shot in the dark approach to things. If you don't know what you are doing then follow the step by step directions that are provided.In this case Xander knows what he is doing and what the expectations are for every step. Even though it sounds simple, check the battery. It might be holding a surface charge but not have enough chrage to handle any sort of load. Even if the steps don't make sense to you follow them because if you understood everything about these bikes, you wouldn't have to be asking the questions.

In this case, Xander is right and has hit all of the likely prospects. If it still won't get spark after that then it is going to be something unusual like a broken shorted wire or switch, bad ground or something really weird.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
278 Posts
One other thing I'll add to that: it's bad manners to just drop the thread without telling us what was broke. :)

On that note, just looked at the other thread you posted (and this is why I say to just maintain one thread)... you never said if you replaced the battery. From the sound of it (lights dimming badly when trying to start), a bad battery is a pretty safe bet. Even if it's got a fixed-magnet alternator (we just talked about this but I can't remember the verdict now), you'll still want a good charged battery for the diagnostics.

A

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm just a newbie but I've been working on my electrical system, and these guys aren't kidding about the battery. my cb360 is so tempramental I just keep the charger on mine while i'm working. and I've just unhooked my lights so it doesn't drain it down. the battery is key if everything else looks right. try keeping a charger on it

ok I'll leave it to the pros thats just my two cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You and I apologize for leaving the thread broken, I had a busy weekend. Kenessex I sorry to ask the Technical forum a technical question about a bike that although new to me, seems to be a familiar to alot of others here. I quess I figured that was what this forum was about, the unity of motorcyclists, not unfriendly holier than thous looking down on beginners. You probably ride a Beemer with hand warmers.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Ouch!! Several people (myself included) politely offered lots of help regarding your problem in your other thread. We all understand busy weekends, etc, but Ken's right, it's bad form to ask for help & then ignore those who are helping you. So, have you put a new fuckng battery in that bike or not? If not, do so. I have the same fucking bike & I know a thing or two about it. If it still won't start, everyone here will help you out with the next step.

Besides, Ken's one of the sweetest people I've (n)ever met, and his advice ws nothing but respectful & helpful (not to mention dead on accurate). Shame on you for treating him so rudely. Now go buy a stinkin' Battery - Murray's, Auto Zone, whatever the fuck big chain auto parts store you have nearby will have on in stock for about $30.

I'm done with this guy. Next!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Pete,
No worries about posting a technical question. That is what it is there for. However, if you will notice, the posting wasn't really directed at you but was a comment about conducting online diagnoses in general. Sorry, but it is not all about you this time, but if you keep up the snotty comments it could be next time if you want. By the way it was Xander that made the comment about not getting back to us with the results. So blame his sorry butt not me. He can get a little grumpy sometimes.
I really don't know about this unity of motorcyclists stuff either. We can be pretty hateful towards each other and everybody else that posts here. Better grow a thicker skin or go somewhere else.
So, did you try the steps that Xander suggested? Let us know what happened.
Why would you think I ride a Beemer with handwarmers? I rode a Beemer once and my snowmobile has handwarmers on it, does that count? Oh yeah, I am an educator by profession so I assume when someone asks a question, they really want to learn the answer and are willing to try what advice is given. When I get attitude from students now I just call their mommies and suspend them.
Don't let Judy and Borzwazie get at you unless you really are a prick.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. I have a 82 Yamaha Seca 550, CB350 racebike and a couple of other cb350 parts bikes. No Beemers

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
Thank You and I apologize for leaving the thread broken, I had a busy weekend. Kenessex I sorry to ask the Technical forum a technical question about a bike that although new to me, seems to be a familiar to alot of others here. I quess I figured that was what this forum was about, the unity of motorcyclists, not unfriendly holier than thous looking down on beginners. You probably ride a Beemer with hand warmers.
what a fuckin' douche bag!!!

NCNR

·
Registered
41 Posts
quote:You probably ride a Beemer with hand warmers.
Until you get your bike running, you can't make a sarcastic comment about what anyone rides. At least they're riding...
It's fucking cold in Chicago today. I'd kill for a Beemer with hand warmers right now.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hey, Where did the Weepyguy go? We were just starting to have a little fun and he wimps out on us. He came in strong asking general questions, wanting us to diagnose his issues with limited information, talks some strong smack for a newby and then just quits. This had all the makings of a good one an he bails on us. Didn't even call me a tool or insult my intelligence too much. One weakass crack about a Beemer with handwarmers and then he plays dead. I am really disappointed. Never even had the chance for Geeto, Joe or Texy to get a shot at him.
WEEPY, come back!!! we're sorry!! Come on and we'll be nice I promise.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
687 Posts
perhaps he moved on to hondatwin or some other noob friendly site. this evening i encouraged xander to spend the time making a concise trouble shooting faq. that way we don't waste words on introductions and can jump straight into insults when they fail to follow instructions.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Alright weepyboy, time to man up and fire back. It's a mob over here.

What's funny is we're all still game to get you running. Just tell us if you installed a fucking battery first.

A

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Well, the Weepster sent me a nice e-mail and I invited him back. I just explained that we was only having some fun. He found some other problems with his bike, like a wiring harness full of water so he has some more work to do.
I hope he comes back, I kinda miss the little feller already.

Ken

AHRMA 412

1 - 19 of 19 Posts