Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and new to motorcycles. Planning on buying my first bike. I would like to buy a project but one that runs. Currently inquiring about a 1972 Honda CB175. That I'm confident I could buy for less than $1500.

Is this a reasonable price? Is this a good first bike to own? My goal is learn all there is to know about the mechanics of a bike. What it needs to run and what it doesn't. And to have something to ride this summer that is fun and reliable. Any one who has owned this particular bike or knows of its characteristics please share! Thank you.

Jonathan

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
No, it's overpriced. Way overpriced

no, it's a terrible bike to own.

Your doing wrong

take your $1500, buy a used ninja 250 from the 1990s/early 2000s. NOT A PROJECT!!!! Ride for a year and learn to not die.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Why do you give a shit if we think its over priced?
things are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay.
if you are willing to pay it then pay it.
already seeking approval is a bad sign.
do some fucking homework, not that hard to figure out what bikes trade hands for.

goal shouldn't be to spend as little money as possible, goal should be to have fun and ride.

so far, like was said, you sir are going it wrong

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
How tall/heavy are you?
Where do you live?
Not a I'm going to find you way, but in the city? On a country road? The stelvio pass?
Do you have a license and sufficient training to partake on the road?
How are you with tools?
Do you know when tight is tight? (That's what she said, sorry)

Answer these are and give a proper into and people will lay opinions here. It's a good place. Thick skins prevail, but a bunch of members here know their shit.

My one little nugget.

If you must have a project, make damn sure you have another bike to ride. Nothing worse than having your bike in pieces when it's a beautiful day. Also use the search function. You will find most here don't take kindly to people who want a 'look' as opposed to something functioning. Make it faster, stop better, corner harder. Don't make it worse because there are imaginary blow jobs waiting at the magical coffee shop with Fonzi.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Easy to build with surplus parts.
Lets you learn as you build.
Great for a newbie

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Boy, some of you are hard. At least this kid didn't want to start like some of the other noobs by wanting a frame or basket case. And he did say he wanted to ride it. I think the CB175 is way over priced for what you get. If you are going to spend that kind of money the Ninja 250 is an excellent place to start for a first bike. plus it already has the "Cafe" look you may be leaning towards without having to have down time building it. Get it, learn how to ride it. Learn how to do the basic maintenance and tune up and you're on your way.
Kawasaki : Ninja in Kawasaki | eBay Motorcycles

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Hipsters don't want a ninja, it's old and ugly.
they want the classic look of a CB.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You know Winkler (Fonzie) couldn't ride a bike? He rode for 30 sec. once (long enough for them to get the opening shot), then he crashed it and didn't ride again.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Yeah right, remember when CBs were actually old junky shit piles nobody wanted because they were old and ugly?

it would be different if he came here and said "hi I am new and would like to learn how to ride?" But he didn't. He came here and asked "can you tell me if this absolute wet turd of a motorcycle is a good idea for someone whose whole exposure to motorcycling is the Internet?"

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Considering how awesome the fonz is, seeing winkler in anything else (except arrested development and one really whacked out 70's movie about a vet with PTSD) is a huge disappointment. Actually his interviews are THE worst, not because he is a bad interviewer but because he is like the biggest pussy alive.

now seeing Henry winkler covered in bees.....that's a different story.....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
New to the site and new to motorcycles.
Welcome to the site Hass. Please fill out your bio a bit more - folks like to know a bit of geography. Lurk around awhile and you'll figure out who bites and who doesn't.

If you are new to motorcycles the best advice is to take your local MSF class. I've taught them for 13 years and there's no better way to learn the basics the right way. You get to have fun on someone else's bike too, and that's always a blast.

When planning your purchase set aside cash for proper gear. Full-face helmet (Snell 2010 if you can, but not a must). Good gloves. Good boots. Ballistic nylon or Cordura jacket AND pants.

Get a bike that you can actually learn to ride before you try wrenching on it. No one learns on a bike that is in pieces in their garage. Tip: Honda bikes are like Honda cars - change the oil often and they'll run forever. Just about any standard bike under 599ccs is ok for a newby and the insurance is not bad until you get over 600ccs. Some larger bikes are even ok depending on your size - Duc Monster and Buell Blast can even be good.

Kawa EX500
Hon 400 Nighthawk
Suz Boulevard S40

And watch On Any Sunday a few hundred times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, I would say to stick with newer model bikes. Especially the bikes in the 1980s will have more problems that you have to fix.It's not any fun if you always have to fix the bike instead of getting to ride it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts