Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 72 CL100 as a daily commuter (about 2 miles) and a bike to take on some backroads to get great photos of places that are hard to get to in a car.

Purchased the bike from the first owner and it only has about 4000 miles on it. It was running but in rough shape.

here is a list of what I have replaced:

Air filter
spedometer cable
wiring harness
clutch cable
handlebars
throttle handle

Removed:
battery (adding a different kind later)
back fender
signals

___

Ive just installed a new carb kit, but the #110 main jet does not match the old jet... any suggestions why this is? The bike it not currently running due to a bad fuel mix and I'm guessing the needle and missing jet have something to do with it.

Any suggestions why it was changed or if there is something else going on here.

Thanks,
b

IMG_7804.JPG IMG_7805.JPG

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Great.
you took a decent small bike and made it useless.
pod is why the bike runs like shit.
low bars are fucking stupid on it.

i assume the next two mods are to hack the exhaust off and remove the fender?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
unfortunately Jag is kind of right. Read the new members sticky and decide whether you want the quality advise (no sarcasm) this site offers.

\

·
Registered
16 Posts
So yah, loose translation. You said you want a daily commuter, that means reliable. Hold off on any major mods to include the filter. You said it was running rough when you got it. Go through all the obvious things first to make it a solid commuter (sticky does outline this). After that, mod what makes sense to you and its intended purposes, getting off road , tight places, may not want that forward stance. Maybe a little more upright, just think about. Achieve its purpose, not so much the generalized "look". Youtube, depending, does offer some very good videos on carbs and many other bike issues or mods from valid posters. Don't forget your rear fender, don't want to get all dirty going to work! Also, I don't know my ass from my elbow about motorcycles, but practical thinking can apply in most areas. Keep posting, but use every resource you can to complete your bike. Good luck

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Ive just installed a new carb kit, but the #110 main jet does not match the old jet... any suggestions why this is? The bike it not currently running due to a bad fuel mix and I'm guessing the needle and missing jet have something to do with it.
What is a carb kit, I haven't seen a carb Kit for anything in 3 decades :|
& What was wrong with the original parts ? … you lost me after you said it was running, that sounded pretty good, what happened after that?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Where in tn are you? I live in sumner county but commute to murfreesboro several times a week. I'd be happy to help you make this a usable motorcycle if you're interested. I have a little experience with Hondas, and I know a few great motorcycle mechanics around the region. I hope you didn't throw the parts you took off away. You actually need some of them.
I also know lots of good trails all over tn, most of which I've explored in jeeps and on dirtbikes. Might could show you some neat places, or vice versa.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
if for real.
The car rebuild kits are nonsense (often) use the rubber seals from the kit but use old jets etc. just clean them well. The kits often have wrong sized bits and jets don't wear so replacing them is pointless.
Cleaning REALLY well is crucial in the carb rebuilding. And as said million times on this site: dob't use shitty pod filters. Stock is better. The rubber snorkel on stock setup acts as a velocity stack and the box behind it an airbos that serves a purpose. Your crab is not CV so it not as sensitive to pod filter in general but shitty cheap filter (like the on you seem to be using) is pointless, the flow bad, filter only big insects.

And fenders dude. You talk of a commuter and you have no fenders - which is probably big part why Joep thinks this is made up bs. Which of course is pretty likely.

-

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Eh......... that little bike is good enough to goof around on and have fun. A couple of things and corrections on that 100 and you can throw your Neff deck on it and find some cool spots.

He's just living life and that's cool.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Working on a 72 CL100 as a daily commuter (about 2 miles) and a bike to take on some backroads to get great photos of places that are hard to get to in a car.

Purchased the bike from the first owner and it only has about 4000 miles on it. It was running but in rough shape.

here is a list of what I have replaced:

Air filter
spedometer cable
wiring harness
clutch cable
handlebars
throttle handle

Removed:
battery (adding a different kind later)
back fender
signals

___

Any suggestions why it was changed or if there is something else going on here.

Thanks,
b

View attachment 15826 View attachment 15827
Well I don't think he's ruining the bike.....looks like the previous owner already did that. Unless the kid dipped the entire bike in a tub of muratic acid the surface deterioration is probably due to prolonged outdoor exposure and neglect.

I also don't feel he's looking for "oohs and aahs"......I think he's seeking genuine advice to not make it run like poo poo.

Your probably already went "bye bye" but if not...kerosene is correct......things can be corrected.

It sounds like you do not know a lot about motorcycles so I would take the carb to a shop and have them do the "once over" and clean, rebuild and adjust it. I understand it will cost you money but it might be worth it.

Adjust the valves and make sure you have good spark and everythings timed well. Get a manual for it and read it thru. Get a feeling for what things are being discussed and described about.

Keep in mind that these things I'm describing are probable problems but there are a boat load of other items that can be the culprit as well. Leaky valves, bad rings, head gasket, leaking intake, skipped cam timing, bad points, spark plug and caps, wires.....anything. I'm assuming it was left outside or maybe near damp, exposed conditions for a reason.....but I may be wrong.

Also it's cool when you read the new members sticky and introduce yourself properly........that's just proper etiquette. Good luck to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts