Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my first motorcycle and first build, I'm very excited. Bought some parts along with a cb550 frame with a clean title and will be working on this throughout the winter, hopefully have it done by summer. The lot of parts I bought came with a Kawasaki KZ400 engine, so I'm actually in the process of selling it to buy a CB550 engine. I've cleaned the frame up & I'm ion the process of attaching forks and swing arm. I'll post pics on my next update. Look forward to meeting the community. Also, if anyone in the north New Jersey area wants to give a hand with this project, shoot me a message. I can offer beers and comradeship. :D

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Buy a cb650 engine. Fits. Lots (20%) more power.

Electronics are a little different, so get 650 ignition setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sorry to hi-jack your thread, but does the cb650 engine fit the cb400 frame? t1 or t2, 1978-1979 or w/e the year that extended from 1978 was...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there is a fair bit of interchange between models of a common era, but in order for you to know that you need to know which bikes were an evolution and which were a clean sheet design. The cb400T hawk is a clean sheet except for the cb450T which came later. Also some years shared suspension bits with the cb360 and 350 it replaced.

generally as a rule if it came with comstars it won't really interchange with spoke wheel bikes.

Also parallel twin engines will not interchange with inline four cylinders unless you have a welder and a lot of gumption.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Get early 650. 550 headers fit, so do cb750 carbs.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
First thing: you can fit anything to anything with enough time, money, yools and knowledge.

Second thing: why the fuck would you want to?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
That doesn't mean they are cool, tex.

Joe, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. The angle between front and back doesn't lend itself well to anything with a normal frame and engine layout.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Still not a fan, joe.

I hope you aren't implying that I don't help people 'round here.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I was wrong. 550 headers will NOT fit 650 head.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Wait, I was wrong about being wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts