Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new member. Im looking at my first bike build and wanted to use the XV1100 as i've heard they are good platforms to start with. Im used to sport bikes so I still need something with a bit of poke as well. Im looking at a Mojave tank with short seat & Subframe and I want to run the R1 swingarm, wheels, front forks, yoke, handlebars etc.

I cant find much information online so I wanted to see if anyone has done this type of build before or is currently running this set up?

Any advice would be welcome, first build so lots to learn.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"wanted to use the XV1100 as i've heard they are good platforms to start with." Who told you THAT?!
I'd like to turn a 1959 Cadillac into an autocrosser..... doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Please read the pinned thread in this section. We tend to value function over form, here. Build a bike that works, and it will look good, too. https://www.caferacer.net/forum/new-members-read-here/22280-read-first.html

Will a swing arm from an R1 work on a shaft drive cruiser? Let's break it down:
1. How in the absolute hell do you propose to run a shaft in the swing arm....much less, convert an R1 rear wheel to a shaft drive?
2. The R1 swing arm is very long. The length was intended to improve rear traction. The R1 designed to accommodate this by moving the swing arm pivot a far forward as possible (thus the advent of the stacked transmission to make room for the pivot). Putting one on an XV1100 cruiser will make the bike just shy of the length of a city bus. It might never be able to complete a corner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts