Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new member. Im looking at my first bike build and wanted to use the XV1100 as i've heard they are good platforms to start with. Im used to sport bikes so I still need something with a bit of poke as well. Im looking at a Mojave tank with short seat & Subframe and I want to run the R1 swingarm, wheels, front forks, yoke, handlebars etc.

I cant find much information online so I wanted to see if anyone has done this type of build before or is currently running this set up?

Any advice would be welcome, first build so lots to learn.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you can't find information online then where did you hear they are good platforms and to "build" what? If you like sports bikes why would you be interested in chopping a dinosaur cruiser?

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
The xv1100 isn't what you want. First off they are all shaft drive except for I think one weirdo euro model that had a chain. With a shaft drive you can throw out any idea you had of using the back part of an R1. ain't gonna happen. There is an xv920 chain drive that is a little more common but again it's still a heavy pig with little to no aftermarket.

People building customs out of XV viragos aren't doing it because it's a great handling bike. I mean for a cruiser it isn't bad but they are doing it because it's a V-twin and it has a frame that can be faked to looks kinda sorta like a vincent which gives it an old look. In terms of shaft drive bikes, any airhead bmw or moto guzzi tonti would run rings around it and look far and away much cooler.

But the truth is, you don't want an old bike. You just want a bike that looks old. If you want an awesome looking old sport bike go buy a 2006-2009 ducati sport classic. It's light, twitchy, handles amazing, makes good power and tons of torque and draws a crowd everywhere. Yes they cost (one just sold at mecum for $12,000) but they are worth it. I should know I own one. IF that's too rich - what do you think your project bike will cost when you are done? a good clean build can run $10K easily for someone with little to no experience and has to get a lot of machine work or specialty welding by someone else done. The difference is you pay for it over time instead of all at once. If that's what you want to do, go get a loan and buy a Triumph thruxton or a royal enfield Continental 650 GT new and make payments and enjoy your ride.

IF you still want to do this whole " build my own" bike thing, then forget the xv chassis all together. You want a bike make/model that has an aftermarket, a knowledge base, a history of racing, and is commonly available. here are a few suggestions:

1969-1978 CB750 SOHC
1970-1995 airhead bmw
1972-2003 Tonti frame moto guzzi
Any Triumph Bonneville
Any 650, 750, 850 Norton
1972-1980 KZ900/1000
1977-79 GS750 or 1978-1982 GS1000/1100

make sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts