Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just a quick question, Ive always have been facsinated with cafe racers and now I want to make my own. I was just wondering if a '73 Honda XL350 would be a good base for a cafe racer....

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
use the search function. this question gets flung against these walls every couple months.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It will if that's what you've got! It's just a matter of how much time, effort and money you can/want/will throw at it. The seat, tank and front end will probably be binned, exhaust, bars, pegs, wheels too. Hmm....
Maybe not. Besides, it's a cool bike just the way it is.

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
And yeah, look at the FAQ, this is a common question.

FR

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the advice! My buddy is probably going to let me have it for $375. I sat on it today and it needs a LOT of TLC but nothing I cant handle, I dont know much about motorcycles mechanically, or fabrication but this will give me a perfect oppurtunity to get my hands dirty. I sat on it today and its surprizingly comfterble and runs strong. and I cant really beat the price for the experience.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
kkep in mind you are probably going to spend $1500-$2000 "learning" about bikes this way and in the end....well you'll still have a $375 bike.

My advice? stop being a skinflint and buy something running and prefferably road legal. Spend the money for a decent starting bike upfront and it will reward you on the back end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It runs great and has all the blinkers and everything, im also aware of the costs. a corolla and getting an engine rebuild for a "free" truck will do that to you. The bike is completly road worthy, its just cosmetically rough around the edges and needs someone to make it their own. I already have anthoer bike to ride on the street anyway, this is just going to be a project bike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts