Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum, so greetings! I just bought a 1972 Honda CB500-F and hope to have it fully cleaned/rebuilt and turn it into a cafe racer by the end of this summer. This is my first project, so I'm gonna need your help!

-Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
clubmans w/ rearsets. I like the top pic w/ the bars on it.hows the tires, shocks ,fork springs. hows it run? like gs1327 said, don't hack it up. and most important no- cheap pods, keep that stock airbox

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Where do you guys find all these tidy old bikes? Something in that condition in Australia would fetch well over $5000.

Oh yeah - and I agree with the crowd - do not cut/fuck it up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hillsy. Since moving here I'm still in shock mode with some of the machines around here. There are just so many of them. When I left some guy on bike point was trying to launch a Jaffa for 20 grand. Saw a big Zed here in close to stock, running condition for 4 grand. And I'm sure that's too much to pay for the thing.

Always looking for a Z1-R. Fucking love those things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clubmans w/ rearsets. I like the top pic w/ the bars on it.hows the tires, shocks ,fork springs. hows it run? like gs1327 said, don't hack it up. and most important no- cheap pods, keep that stock airbox
The guy I bought it from had the spare clubmans, so I installed them the second day I had it! Tires have a lot of tread left, shocks and fork springs all work well. And I've already put 100 miles on it ;) It is a machine. Part of me is with you on not wanting to hack it up, but if you've seen Joe's Lucky 13 cafe racer (google it), that's what I want to go for (with a few of my own unique takes of course).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pouring through TONS of classifieds and Craigslist ads. I picked it up for $1500 :) I passed up a 350t to get this one..the asking price for the 350 was $500 because he didn't have a title, but the bike was in pretty decent shape. Here's a photo: IMG_1417.jpg

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Part of me is with you on not wanting to hack it up, but if you've seen Joe's Lucky 13 cafe racer (google it), that's what I want to go for (with a few of my own unique takes of course).
I googled it... and came up with this sad bike:

Honda CB450 Cafe Racer | Moto Rivista

Put the bars back on and ride it. Your bike is twice as nice as "joe's" turd. If you do anything like that to your nice bike, please punch yourself in the dick.

your welcome

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you guys find all these tidy old bikes? Something in that condition in Australia would fetch well over $5000.

Oh yeah - and I agree with the crowd - do not cut/fuck it up.
Pouring through TONS of classifieds and Craigslist ads. I picked it up for $1500. I passed up a 350t to get this one..the asking price for the 350 was $500 because he didn't have a title, but the bike was in pretty decent shape. Here's a photo: View attachment 2575

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
No title makes a bike almost worthless in some areas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I googled it... and came up with this sad bike:

Honda CB450 Cafe Racer*|*Moto Rivista

Put the bars back on and ride it. Your bike is twice as nice as "joe's" turd. If you do anything like that to your nice bike, please punch yourself in the dick.

your welcome
Haha, I guess beauty is relative. I still haven't started anything major yet, so I have some time to decide what direction to take it in.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Haha, I guess beauty is relative. I still haven't started anything major yet, so I have some time to decide what direction to take it in.
Tough crowd around here White Samoan. Don't reveal too much too fast or they'll have you crying in your shower. :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tough crowd around here White Samoan. Don't reveal too much too fast or they'll have you crying in your shower. :)
Or do reveal everything so we can guide you away from doing something wrong, stupid, dangerous, or just plain douchie so that you don't kill yourself or reduce the functionality and value to near zero. Your choice.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I seldom get involved in trying to tell someone what direction to go with their motorcycle since they may do something positive. But in this case with the condition it appears to be in I'd suggest keeping it a stock representation of a nice motorcycle.
ed

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
That "joe" cb450 is way better then that fucking piece of ship applebottom or what ever....
that dick bag get the bike running or now that its made the rounds of blogs they scrapped it?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The 500 you have is the exact copy of one I purchased new back in 1972. My self and two other buddies purchased the exact same bike at the same time. My buddies and I had many adventures with those 500's. I ended up selling the bike when I got an assignment overseas - that was a sad day.. I'd keep the current paint scheme as it is on of the best color combos to come out of Japan. I swear the Japanese have some strange color ideas...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have somewhat of a picture in mind, and I know what I want aesthetically out of this bike. I think we all have our own take on what a good bike looks like, and I think we all have some measure of respect for keeping these beautiful machines as original as possible. This being my first project bike, I'm going to need everyone's help/advice on the details and mechanical/bodywork techniques, and I'll do my best to come out with a CB500 cafe racer that ties British attitude of the Cafe era to good ole Japanese ingenuity ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 500 you have is the exact copy of one I purchased new back in 1972. My self and two other buddies purchased the exact same bike at the same time. My buddies and I had many adventures with those 500's. I ended up selling the bike when I got an assignment overseas - that was a sad day.. I'd keep the current paint scheme as it is on of the best color combos to come out of Japan. I swear the Japanese have some strange color ideas...
I wish I had a time machine...I heard they sold for somewhere around $1,600-$1,800 MSRP? And I definitely love the sunrise orange/gold paint. I plan to repaint it because there is a little sun damage and streaks from gas overspills, so I hope the original paint is still out there and its not too expensive!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts