21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Enough talk about looks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
lacking a proper bio from you, I would assume you are a bigger sized fella due to your forum name. If so, why would you want to screw up a decent riding position for one that folds you up like a paper clip? Those clubmans have got to go! Did you even ride the thing with the stockers? A good compromise would be superbike bars. Dont ruin your back for the sake of appearance.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I recall I paid something like 1400 dollars for the bike - I'm not sure if we got a discount because 3 bikes were purchased at the same time or if that was the sticker price. At the same time, I could have purchased a 750 triumph hurricane for the same dollars. If you can recall, the hurricane had the vetter body with three exhaust pipes sweeping up the right side of the bike. As much as I like the Honda - the triumph would have been worth mega bucks today if I still owned it and it was in decent shape.

If your thinking about re-painting with the original paint colors, check the web site ▀▄▀▄ VMR Paints ® ▄▀▄▀ - Vintage Honda Motorcycle Paint. They carry paint kits that are as close as you can get for the vintage hondas colors. You could purchase the paint and have a shop do the painting for you.

If you really wanted to end up with something of value, I would have the bike repainted and get a set of the original exhaust for this bike. Like above your could add a set of superbars to the bike which would work well with the current peg setup. I would say you could triple or more the value of the bike if it was restored to original condition. There is a fine line when choosing a bike to customize - or restore. Usually first year bikes are better restored than customizing. There are several sets of exhaust on ebay that could be had for 500 or under.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Where are you located? That overlook looks familiar.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I like the bike, by the looks of things you've got yourself a good one. Have fun with it! A little more info in your profile wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
lacking a proper bio from you, I would assume you are a bigger sized fella due to your forum name. If so, why would you want to screw up a decent riding position for one that folds you up like a paper clip? Those clubmans have got to go! Did you even ride the thing with the stockers? A good compromise would be superbike bars. Dont ruin your back for the sake of appearance.
I'm 5'11", 160lbs, and 20 yrs old, so I think my back can handle it at least for a few more years ;) And yes I did ride it with stock bars, and I prefer the clubmans. I may take a look at some super bike bars though, but sometimes appearances are everything :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I recall I paid something like 1400 dollars for the bike - I'm not sure if we got a discount because 3 bikes were purchased at the same time or if that was the sticker price. At the same time, I could have purchased a 750 triumph hurricane for the same dollars. If you can recall, the hurricane had the vetter body with three exhaust pipes sweeping up the right side of the bike. As much as I like the Honda - the triumph would have been worth mega bucks today if I still owned it and it was in decent shape.

If your thinking about re-painting with the original paint colors, check the web site ▀▄▀▄ VMR Paints ® ▄▀▄▀ - Vintage Honda Motorcycle Paint. They carry paint kits that are as close as you can get for the vintage hondas colors. You could purchase the paint and have a shop do the painting for you.

If you really wanted to end up with something of value, I would have the bike repainted and get a set of the original exhaust for this bike. Like above your could add a set of superbars to the bike which would work well with the current peg setup. I would say you could triple or more the value of the bike if it was restored to original condition. There is a fine line when choosing a bike to customize - or restore. Usually first year bikes are better restored than customizing. There are several sets of exhaust on ebay that could be had for 500 or under.
I appreciate the insight. I'm still not exactly sure which direction to take it in, but I'm wanting to find a middle ground (which means no frame chopping, but part exchanges on things like the seat, wheels/tires, and maybe the exhaust. Never was a big fan of the stock exhaust, but I do hear you out on how to increase the value). Right now I'm going to focus on disassembling it to restore and clean up the frame and engine components.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm 5'11", 160lbs, and 20 yrs old, so I think my back can handle it at least for a few more years ;) And yes I did ride it with stock bars, and I prefer the clubmans. I may take a look at some super bike bars though, but sometimes appearances are everything :cool:
It actually only takes a a few months of bad posture riding to cause permanent damage. Sometimes looks aren't worth the back, wrist, shoulder, and neck problems you WILL develop. Super bike or euro bars will look great on there.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Okay, then 'splain the screen name "White Samoan". I have never met a Samoan that was either a), white or b), 5'11 and 160 lbs or even close to that skinny. Maybe you like those Samoan Girl Scout Cookies?

It is like a vanity license plate - there has to be a back story.

You'll hate those bars in a big hurry, don't hasten the onset of middle-age back problems unless there is a trophy, champagne, and a big cardboard winners check waiting for you at the end of your ride. If appearances are everything, try walking with the posture of Aqualung or the old man on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV and see where that gets you with the Bettys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
lovely bike, wish we could get deals like that here in SA! The guys have said it a few times here, but don't go anywhere near Joe Lucky 13's look and feel, it would be very sad to do that to this bike. Rather ride it for a year and by then you would have fallen in love with the stock look, then buy another bike and do the Joe Lucky thing to a wreck rather.

For my money, I would say you should restore that old girl back to her former beauty, by the looks of it you wont have to do much...too many beautiful old bikes getting turned into shoddy "cafe's" these days. I started out doing that exact same thing and have changed direction and gone back to stock and couldnt be happier :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
20 - That explains everything as I didn't get much when I was 20. Not a slam against you. It just at 20 you really don't have any real life experience to value anything with a little age on it. Most of the guys here have grown up with 70's style bikes and more than likely owned a few when we were 20 - so when we see a really clean bike from that era it kicks in our "Gee I remember that" from our memory banks and the fun we use to have back then. That's the reason why vintage cars/motorcycles, hot rods and muscle cars are bring the dollars they do today - it's a return to the time when WE were in our 20's.. I'm sure in another 20 years, you will also fall into the same thinking us older guys and start railing on younger guys yourself..

Good luck with your project -

21 - 32 of 32 Posts