Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Harley evo 96 and I would like to build a cafe racer with it, does anyone know what type of frame I would need to get?
I understand it will not be a drop in and there will be modifications to be made.
Your help would be appreciated.

Aek

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hopping to fit it in a clean cut frame like a true cafe racer with straight lines, I guess it would fit in a CB750 or similar?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
No it won't fit in a cb750, gs750, kz1000 or any stupid jap frame you are going to suggest. Seriously the big twin is one of the tallest engines out there. It also isn't a performance engine. You are wasting your time. For what you will get selling the Evo you can buy an entire Ironhead sportster and start with something with a real race pedigree.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess...the engine is my uncles and will be practicly giving to me.
Will see what can I do and thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question, an ironhead sportster is the engine that come usually on harley sportster?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ironhead sportster was made from 1957 to 1985. It is called an Ironhead because the heads are made of iron. The first design remained largely unchanged from 1957 to 1972, and even 1973-1978 the interchange was high. They were built specifically to compete with British and European cycles. It was the basis for the XLR race bikes of the 60's as well as the early iron xr750s. The alloy xr750 which is still competitive in racing in flat track is also derived from it. With the introduction of the Evo sportster in 1986 most performance Harleys faded out, until buell came along in the early 90's.

Anything harley performance is usually based on a sportster (there have been a few multi engined big twin dragsters). Big twins are too big and too heavy for most road race applications and usually require tremendous fab work and custom frames.

A good stroked and bored Evo with paperwork is usually worth a couple of grand. A whole running Ironhead can be found for the same amount, and usually big Japanese superbikes can be had for less. You can probably score a BSA for that as well.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Steveo, let's be clear, those Norley frames only take sportster engines. A big twin like he was getting is 1.5 times bigger and not unitized.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Steveo, let's be clear, those Norley frames only take sportster engines. A big twin like he was getting is 1.5 times bigger and not unitized.
I didn't realise there was such a size difference between the 2 motors.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Would that matter if you're building the bike from scratch?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Would that matter if you're building the bike from scratch?
depends on how handy you are. If you are literally building from scratch then you are making your own frame so no. If you are buying a frame setup for an existing engine, yeah it might. Harley engines are not symmetrical like brits, Japanese, etc... Even some of the Japanese frames from the 70's and 80's are not truly symmetrical, the cb750F for instance has more clearance on one side of the frame than the other specifically to address chain line (the swingarm pivot is not symmetrical either to compensate).

Santiago choppers sells a custom frame kit for a big twin based on the featherbed. Theyhad to blow the F-bed's proportions out so large the bike looks comically cartoonish and not in a fun way, but more in a dear lord I am a harley fanboy with more money than common sense kind of way:

New_Classic_racer_right.jpg

Trikes and Trike conversion kits, Custom Motorcycle Trikes, custom motorcycle parts, and more...

There are a couple of companies that made "performance" oriented big twins like Confederate, Ecosse, BTR, etc...but if you look at those bikes they are are very modern bikes with special engineering backing them.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Just spent the last few minutes looking at the last pic. It's certainly more than a little odd.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good god that thing is odd looking...

That rear shock arrangement just ruins it for me. And the backbone looks convex; isn't a featherbed practically flat across the tank/seat line?

Yeah, just weird.

-Deek

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
and that is the flatering picture. the 3/4 rear view just unhinges the the illusion completely:

CafeClassicRacerSmall.jpg

It is exactly what you would expect from a chopper guy with little to no experience with race bikes who said "make me one that looks like this". It's also an "award winner", but that award is given out at sturgis, by people who wouldn't know a road race bike from their asshole.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I took these at a local show a couple years ago when I met and talked to Alan Bernard from Santiago Choppers. A couple of his Harley builds:

Then there was this monstrosity:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts