Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am always tinkering, I what a better way to release and refit the front of the tank.
The tank has a hinge at the back and 2 x 6mm bolts holding the front down to the frame.
I am interested in what others have done.
I am thinking of drilling out the threads and fitting these.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The conventional method is a simple rubber strap, I've had a few bikes where that was the only thing holding the fuel tank on.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ducati typically use that sort of rubber strap at the front. They have a "hook" just behind teh steering head and another on a bracket attached to the front of the tank. Some monsters use an over center type latch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drilled out the threads with a 6mm drill, the pins measured 5.9 mm and across the locking balls is 6.9.
The pins are heaver construction than I expected. and the shank is 35mm long, 5mm longer than needed.
My plan was to shim the extra length but despite measuring the required length I have ended up 11mm oversize and the top triple hits them on lock.
So new plan, order 2 more with 25mm shank. 10mm shorter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A temporary fit until the shorter pins arrive, I ground down the diameter of the longer pins so the upper tree doesn't hit and used rubber tube as spacers.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ducati typically use that sort of rubber strap at the front. They have a "hook" just behind teh steering head and another on a bracket attached to the front of the tank. Some monsters use an over center type latch.
I've never seen a Ducati with a rubber strap at the front, must be from an era/model I didn't follow. Anything after roundcases and before about 1991 is pretty much unknown to me...

I've seen them use rubber straps at the back of the tank, and am familiar with the latches on the front of the tanks (90s era Super Sports used them too). Not sure I'd go to much effort to convert a tank to quick release though, not sure when I've ever been in much of a hurry to remove one.

THAT said, I guess I wouldn't mind if the tank on my 851 was a bit easier to remove!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Not sure I'd go to much effort to convert a tank to quick release though, not sure when I've ever been in much of a hurry to remove one.
Nothing in that build makes much sense...
Sorry.

I mean converting the carbs then having starting issues... cmon man. My bike starts with like less than 2 sec on the starter.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
750/900ss ie had a hinge at the rear of the tank, and a rubber strap at the front.
Not a great pic, but it's the only one I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the correct size quick release pins to retain my tank, all in with no clearance issues. For more under tank clearance I could fit the first pins I got which are about 10mm longer they could be used with a spacer because I have turned down the heads for triple tree clearance but I don't think the turned down heads look neat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts