Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I heard about Rochester it was a decent event even though there wasn't a huge turnout. Coolbeth ruled the track when he was on it.
Jolly Roger ran their program Saturday night and once again had a weak turnout, which was a shame 'cause apparently the track was the best it's been since they lengthened it a few years ago. Good racing but a few injuries put a damper on the night. Even still I was sorry to miss out on the racing.
Sunday I finally got to light up the XT500 at Canaan. Another disappointing turnout, but no surprise 'cause lots of guys were racing at Loudon. The track took a while to come in, the quads went at it first, till the last pro quad race when two guys got together in T1 and got transported out in separate ambulances.
By then the track was unrideable, so they got the grader out and cut a new surface. The sun came out on cue and we had a dry, slick track, very racy but also very fast and loose.
The program went on but was cut to 4 lap heats and 4 lap features, not much time to recover if you had a bad start.
I had a great time in the combined Senior A/B race, bangin' bars with an A rider, nobody wanted to back off, kept the tires on the track and finished 2nd in class, 4th overall but it was a tight group at the flag.
My son got the hole shot in Vintage and stayed up front for the duration, so that was his first 1st for the season. He also ran in Open Am but didn't have a great start, scratched out a decent 3rd though, so three trophies came home in the truck.
Good times.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sweet!!! awesome dude. sounds like the kids got some skills!

our season starts in a few weeks. i cant wait. looks like ill be running solo again though. none of the slackers around here wants to give it a run.

jc

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Great ride bro. Congrats to Scott.....the dude is a spoiler; shows up a couple times a year and always seems to nab someone's first, and they never saw it coming. cool as hell.

My Rochester pics suck. Tim's crew got a few good ones. I'll post them if I can.

Shout out to nf343vr, Kevin Campbell on the 343 Yamaha. Looking good on the half mile!

cheers, bcr

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
is that you on the inside, or with the white helmet??

now that looks like a really fun big track!

jc

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the white helmet, tryin' to be High, Wide and Handsome, but settling for what ever...

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
man you had that thing all sideways and crazy! nut job.

pretty cool.

jc

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The track was dry and slick, not a lot of grip which was why my 40 horse XT was able to run with 55 horse Rotax and Hondas. Cool track though, a big D shape, front straight is the straight leg, back side never really straightens out. The turns are real wide so there are lots of potential line choices.
We've always had good luck at that track even though one race I actually broke my ankle there. Coming out of T4 in my heat race, had to put my foot down for a sec, boot got caught in a hole and I ran over it with the footpeg. Ouchie, but I kept on racing anyway. Got a 2nd that night, passed my buddy on the last lap, I guess he thought I was just gonna cruise around for the points.

FR

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
FR - You know Steve and Justin Velicky? They were suppose to be in Rochester, but blew out the engine on their main bike a few weeks ago in Ohio. I work with Steve (the dad). Real nice guy. They are building a flat track course at their house near Schenectady and has given me an open invite to join them for some racing. With a loaner KTM. I can't wait.

Pete

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know 'em personally but I've been watching Justin race at selected events since I started racing 10 years ago. He's one of the fast N.Y. crowd. Lots of fast riders from that area, Electric City and Accord and Square Deal all contribute to the east coast Pro ranks.
We used to dread seeing N.Y. plates on the trucks coming into the pits, it usually meant the big trophies were going back with them.
If the Velicky's are looking to get some extra riders, I'm always interested...

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Real easy, look at the 2008 race schedule on www.sidewayspromo.com and show up at just about any track, (I'd recommend Jolly Roger or Winchendon) and tell 'em you're here to race your XR100. They'll take it from there. I'm not sure if there are any tire restrictions on XR100s, but you can call Sideways Pete and he'll tell you.
It is a total gas, much different from road racing. No tech inspection, no safety wire. If you can ride it to the starting line, you can race it. You may need to be an AMA member at Winchendon.
Call me if you need more info or a shove off the fence....
802-878-9648

FR

ps
Winchendon is the town that WVRC is in, Wachusset Valley Riders Club.
It's a great clay shorttrack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts