Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a decent off the shelf quarter fairing / flyscreen.

Seems like I trash mine every year. I'm getting tired of paying $100+ a pop for windscreens and patching together my fairing. I'm looking for a cheapo, $100 quarter fairing/ fly screen combo that I can easily replace. Even if it has a headlight hole that I can fill is ok.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
go naked and save those grams.
or make your fairing crashable....use that plastic that they use for canoes.
one of the guys uses helmets for mini fairings. your bike will break in half long b4 one of those cracks apart.
or just stop wrecking it. that's a goal to achieve b4 running a 1:30.
-parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Striving for new personal bests requires some taking of risks.
Ask Frank C., he'll tell you. No pain, no gain baby.
You are static...I'm dynamic. I'm rubber, you're glue.

(Dang, I would have pulled off the track and let you walk your bike by me if I knew you would become so obcessed with me after a fluke loss)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Quarter or bikini fairings...
The RZ350s had nice little bikini fairings. Plastic, with a small plastic windshield. Reasonably durable, don't know how cheaply then can be obtained. They do have a hole for a headlight.

Do you have to see through it? Make a shape, heat up some lexan and drape it over.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only time I really look through it is down the straight. I wouldn't run one at all, but lap times and rpm at the end of the straight tell me I pick up enough time to make it worthwhile.

I'm going to check JC Whitney...just need a cheesy plastic one with a windscreen that I can cut up and use.

Or I could just stop riding in the rain.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Just had a look at caferacingparts.com. Not exactly in the cheapo league. No doubt the quality is there. Did youever think of getting some styrofoam and bondo and making a mould and making your own flyscreen? I took some styrofoam sheets, glued them together (silicone sealant) and shaped a nose cone for my sidecar I'm building. 60 grit sandpaper shapes styrofoam real nice. I finished the plug yeserday and took a female mould from it. Tomorrow I will lay up the nose cone. Its nothing spectacular. Just to fill in a spot and make it look more "sidecarish".

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem is I hate working with glass. And the time I would probably spend making one would probably cost me more than it would to buy one.
Maybe I'll just get a huge number plate, wrap it around the front and zip tie it to the clipons :)

JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The advantage is you have the mould. Sell some to your envious friends and when you dump it you can always make another!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just down working on the bike...I think I can get one more year out of the fairing. It's getting smaller and smaller....maybe so small it won't be in danger anymore :)

JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Did you know the trick of using zip-ties instead of those plastic bolts to mount your windscreen? Rabbie showed me that one. When (if) you crash the zip-ties break instead of the windscreen. You need two zip-ties per windscreen hole.

Craig

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:(Dang, I would have pulled off the track and let you walk your bike by me if I knew you would become so obcessed with me after a fluke loss)
johnny
i've always been obSessed with you. i want to stick to you like glue. in a static way.
-parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craig, no I've never seen that trick before. So you stick one through the screw hole, then use the end of the second one to "zip" up the other side....then cut off the extra?

Parks,
I loan you my lint brush.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
JohnnyB,

That's it. Works pretty well. Rabbie came in after a low side last year with the side of the fairing on his RS scrapped up pretty bad and the windscreen was intact with the zip ties broken.

Craig

1 - 17 of 17 Posts