Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead. I could have just started a new thread but most of the info is in this thread so I figured I'll just start here.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to do a monoshock on my H1/H2 project.

Geeto, I have an FZR600 swingarm and I had the whole bike at one point so I'm kicking myself for trashing it but would that be the way you would go? FZ 400 swingarms are tough to find and expensive when you do find them so as good as an option as it is I dont feel like waiting around for one to pop up.

Plan at the moment for a little background, H1 frame, H2 engine, probably R6 front suspension because I have a set of Dymag magnesium 5 spoke R6 wheels, rear swingarm is open to just about whatever will fit depending on if I can get the chain to align with those wheels.

Ideas?

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks, Thats a lot of information for me to ponder. My biggest concern is what rear end. Which swingarm to use and that depends on whether I go monoshock or not. I also have to consider chain alignment and sprockets as you mentioned.

I hate hate hate 3 spoke mag wheels, I think they look horrible and a ton of bikes in the past ten years have used them. I refuse. If I cant use the R6 Dymag wheels I'll look into Honda 929/954 whatever bike that was that had the 5/6 spoke wheels or something different. I think the R6 wheels may be 5.5 wide which may be too much to use.

This bike will not be a "cafe" or race replica or like that kwikasfaki bike in the modern frame. I think that thing is hideous although I'm sure its a blast to ride. I want a sleeper that is fast and handles well enough for we to throw it around when the urge strikes.

I have the frame, bodywork, engine, wheels, carbs, and electrics. I just need to work out the rear and then I can get the appropriate length forks and start making it come together.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Two questions:

1 How much lighter is the FZ 400 swingarm vs the 600 steel one? Will this weight difference make a significant difference? I assume its still in NY so you couldnt weigh?

2 How much better, not considering weight, would a monoshock be compared to some really nice dual shock setup on an H1 with the H2 engine? I mean like if I dumped money into some ohlins rear shocks or something? Will I even notice the difference?

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Wow 20lbs?!? Out of a swingarm. Crazy. I need to weigh mine tonight and see how much it weighs. I wasn't expecting that much difference.

Let me ask this, can I assume sice you are going twin shocker you don't feel the monoshock is enough of an advantage to be worth the time?

Like all the newbs say I already have a fast bike so this one just needs to look pretty blah blah blah. I have several other bikes and Im not racing so I want to be able to ride it and have fun but Im not chasing gixxers or going for a trophy. With that said it isn't about looks I want it to handle better than stock but I'm not trying to make it into an R6.

I do plan on bracing the frame once I get all of the planning worked out on suspension, thats why I didnt really mention it. I could use an H2 frame I have but the 500 seems to be a better frame after some bracing and tweaking.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Still not feeling any of those 3 spokes, yuck. The mismatched wheel are even worse. The single sided swinger is pretty cool though.

You still have this project bike don't you? Is the direction still budget minded?

I just finished a couple months ago welding certifications and feel confident with plenty of parts and enough understanding to do it but if the advantages aren't big enough then its more of a risk for me than a reward. If I do it and fail it may never get done whereas if I just stick with a twin shock steel 600 swingarm it can move a lot faster. I may have just answered my own questions. I think I was asking really to make sure someone didnt speak up and say im an idiot and it has to be mono or the bike will never work. Will it be perfect a little heavier and twin shocked, no but it will probably get done.

I'll weigh my swingarm tongiht and see what it weighs, I also have another one on the shelf that I got in some H2 parts that isnt stock but I dont know what it came off of. I'll weigh it too and see if I can figure out what it is. I also need to weigh the wheels to see how much of a weight savings I am getting and if I have room to clear the chain.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
That bike is kind of what I want my RD to look like. Super lightweight minimalistic, not cafe open triangle but real lightweight awesomeness.

The H1 frame is a 1975 and I have several of every year H2 engines so I will be building the engine as solid of a performer as I can and still have it reliable.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't really know why bucci came to comment on this thread but I guess it's good I had missed your other post.

I'm torn on where to go with it, I feel like the modern framed specials are too played out and the h1r replicas are cool but still not to my liking. I just want something that doesn't look insane but that's handles well enough to throw it around in the mountains. I think in going to stick with fz600 swinger, braced h1 frame, mild h2 engine and some light wheels, either aluminum laced or dymag. Depending on the outcome of weighing the components I have right now I may go inverted forks. Should be a decent little ripper. If there was something that jumped out as obviously a million times better I would do it but unless an fz400 swinger comes up for sale I'll stick with what I have.

One thing is for sure it won't be getting knobby tires

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Very true, its all on the internet. I'm sure now that I think about it we are talking more like .0000000000000000000001% of the motorcycles in real life are specials like that. I guess when you see 10 of them on the internet it looks like a lot. I don't really care about looks and the fact that every time I ride something other than the ninja I get people coming up to me asking if it is a cafe racer makes me want to build something that doesn't really draw attention at all.

I want to do a real "build" with this bike thats why I am talking about it so much. I have rebuilt repaired and bolt on customized a bunch of motorcycles in the past few years but nothing that actually required lots of skills or imagination. Those are easy and I have pumped out over 100 in almost 4 years.

What makes them so different from the H frames? They look very similar. Are the swingarms the same, as in will the FZ swinger swap in the same on both frames? I could always get one of those aluminum swingarms that are being repopped for the H2 like I got for the RD. Direct bolt in, a little longer and aluminum. Would keep a classic look and keep me from having to hunt down a 400 swniger.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I try to be nice to people and talk when they stop but my goodness it gets soooo old.

I just like that they are odd motorcycles no one has really heard of and 2 stroke power really makes it awesome. I just hate they handle and brake so poorly. Make it handle, stop and go fast are my objectives.

I feel like most of the bikes ive done were stock or something I have seen somewhere else. I want to do something different and not copy something ive seen that was cool. I want to do things because they actually improve the bike not because they were easy or cheap. I've avoided a lot of upgrades on other bikes because it was too much work to make what i really wanted work. Any monkey can bolt crap together, thats pretty obvious nowadays.

I love trackers, not that I would change and go this route now but saw this while researching earlier. That is sweet.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't ride that hard on the street I push it but not crazy. I want it to pretty much be like my RD400 on the street but with more power. I just dont feel like the H2 or H1 ever felt that comfortable throwing around like the RD does. If I can get it to be a little better than the RD and faster I'd be pretty happy. I think I'm going to stick with the H1 frame for right now and try to source an S3 titled bike for future revisions. I have enough H2 stuff I could build another one off of my mistakes depending on how good or bad it goes.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm still doing that one too. I don't like to have too many projects going at one time but I find two helps because when you are waiting for parts or money you can always work on the other one. I spent a lot of time trying to work out the fuel injection on the banshee engine and I still dont feel confident after talking with several companies. There isnt one set up for what i need so if I go that route it will be tweaking and testing. For now I am setting it up as a standard carbureted engine but leaving enough room to change it if I can ever find some solid direction on it. The RD400 frame will be a fairly stock bolt on upgrade stuff so nothing exciting to watch. I did say I would make a thread so maybe I should stop being lazy and do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.