Cafe Racer Forum banner

fork brace

4K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  72CafeRacer 
#1 ·
I'm looking for the part # for the fork brace (heavy steal bracket/brace) that goes between the forks and under the front fender. If anyone knows the part name or #, i would be grateful. I don't have one on my bike and i have read things about ppl having problems without it and some people don't.

#2 ·
if you ride anywhere where the roads are bad then you will feel the front end flex a tremendous amount. I ran my K5 without one for 6months and the worst was doing transitions over uneven roadways, the front end would flex like a rubber band and snap back once there wasn't any pressure on it. Also during hard cornering you can feel the wheel trying to distort out of line as the forks twist slightly. If you want to see how much distortion you will get in the front end sit on your bike, hold the front brake tight, and wiggle the bike side to side slightly (or even just wiggle the front end slightly) and watch your front tire - you will see all sorts of subtle but funky angles of deflection in the tire relative to the fork. Really the issue is that without something connecting them the sliders can move differently from each other - you need something connecting the sliders together that will not be affected by the movement of the tires.

the fender mount was never sold as a seperate piece - always sold as part of the fonr fender since it is rivited on. The best way to get one is to buy an old beat up fender off of ebay and drill, grind, or cut the rivits off and take the brace out. It is still not as strong as having a front fender attached and some people will just buy garbage front fenders and cut them so that they are the size of the brace.

My suggestion is to go find a teleflex fork brace or a tarozzi fork brace for a cb750 and put that on instead. Really these bikes should have thicker forks, the 35mm are too flimsy for 500lbs+ bike so they need all the rigitiy they can get. Jimhinshaw on ebay is a tarozzi dealer and should be able to get you one if you e-mail him, same with omars, etc.

Don't confuse a fork brace with a tweak bar. Tweak bars are for adding rigidity in extended tubes and clamp to the actual fork tube, a real fork brace attaches to the sliders. Some racers use both, which isn't a bad idea but really you need a fork brace if anything.

#3 ·
Stock fork braces are usually an integral part of the fender. They're riveted on. Find an old CB fender, drill out the rivets and mount whatever universal fender to the brace you want.

Some distributors still carry universal fork braces for older bikes, but you kinda have to dig a little. Find a shop near you that sells parts from Dixie International or KK Supply. They might be able to find one in their warehouse.

If you don't care about a front fender and want a trick ol' school chopper solution, look up "tweak bar" on ebay. Not as effective as a fender-style brace that mounts to the sliders, but it'll give you some rigidity. Just make sure you get one made for a 750.

EDIT: Dammit Geet, you're quick.

#8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

totally missed the stock pegs with clubman bars....I should have seen that like Pamela Anderson's Hep C rash (from space)....

yeah man, get some rearsets on that biddy.
ooops....looked again and it looks like the previous owner fucked you for tarozzi rearsets - you need the passenger peg frame extensions to mount them and, well, it looks like your bike has had them hacked off.

There are other options, the one I suggest is getting honda 929 (RC51) rearsets and some frame clamp brackets and mounting it that way because....well...your previous owner was a fucking idiot.

#10 ·
quote:Originally posted by 72CafeRacer

They don't make them for 1972...75 and below only i believe. Jim said they don't make em for my 1972. So i'm building my own from an old front fender i bought online today..what does the back brace look like? anyone got a pic
ummmmmm...ok...what don't they make for 1972? the fork brace or the rearsets?

75 and below should cover 1972. the cb750 K frame remained unchanged from 1969 to 1976. The F frames and the 77-78K frames are slightly different in the seat area.

If you are talking about the fork brace I don't understand since the only difference between early and later cb750 fork legs are the brake mounting tabs.

#12 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:Originally posted by 72CafeRacer

They don't make them for 1972...75 and below only i believe. Jim said they don't make em for my 1972. So i'm building my own from an old front fender i bought online today..what does the back brace look like? anyone got a pic
ummmmmm...ok...what don't they make for 1972? the fork brace or the rearsets?

75 and below should cover 1972. the cb750 K frame remained unchanged from 1969 to 1976. The F frames and the 77-78K frames are slightly different in the seat area.

If you are talking about the fork brace I don't understand since the only difference between early and later cb750 fork legs are the brake mounting tabs.
they dont make the fork brace, at least that what the jim guy told me

#14 ·
I just looked up tarozzi's site and they have a part number listed for 1976 CB750F for 1976. Check with the SOHC4.net guys as to whether it will work with your bike - I am pretty sure the 75-76 F front sliders are the same as the 1973-76 K bike sliders (and similar to the 69-72 sliders with the different brake tabs), but it pays to get a second opinion.

as for the RC51/cbr929 brackets I meant stock brackets off a cbr929, not aftermarket brackets. Instead read this and you will understand:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=2894.0 (Reply #9)

quote:Here is an old post I had placed on some other forums on making universal rearsets to fit the older Honda CB's. Most all the CB (twins and inline 4's) Hondas have 1" diam. frame tubes and this works great. I posted this a long time ago......thought i'd repost it here.

This is the setup i'm using on the CR350 racer and i'm now see some of the vintage road racers using this setup.....enjoy!!

Very easy and functional way to get some very nice rearsets for most cafe bikes with very little metal fab or machining.

1. Purchase 4......universal 3-Piece 1 inch frame clamps from Dennis Kirk(800-323-9280), part number=h27-036.......$5.99ea.

2. Need to look on EBAY for 1998-2002 Honda CBR929RR/RC51 rearsets....usually run approx. $80 per set. You will need the
rearset brackets (right & left), both heel guards, shift lever, & rear brake lever with return spring (and brake light switch if using a taillight). You can usually find all these together as a set or with only a few parts missing or damaged. I have purchased a few sets with road rashed pegs for very cheap. Usually, you can purchase some aftermarket pegs from the local bike shop for around
$20.

3. Purchase some smooth round rod (have to thread ends) or threaded rod ($1.57 for 3 foot piece...approx) from local hardware store to fab up the shift and rear brake linkages. I have always purchased smooth round rod, then once cut to size.....threaded the ends using a tap/die set.

4. Depending on application, you may need to use a spacer between the frame clamps and the rearset mounting braket. On my CB350's I have used a 1 inch aluminum spacer to locate the peg out away from the swingarm for clearance.

I have some pics on my website of these rearsets being used on my 1972 Honda CR350 and also on my 1970 Honda CB350RR Inverted front fork hybrid.

Feel free to visit the site at:

http://www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com

These rearsets have worked great for me, hope this helps for you cafe projects.

Greg

#16 ·
contact jim at cycle solutions, they are a telefix dealer and telefix def makes one for a 1972 cb750. They don't have it listed in their online catalog but it is worth a shot.

support@cyclesolutions.net
http://www.CycleSolutions.net

spec II lists the telefix on their website but I have heard dodgy things about them not being able to get orders out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.