Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone:
I have recently puchased a 1980 GS550ET. In the service manuel it states that the fork oil is a half & half mixture of 10w/30 + ATF.
What is the modern day replacement fork oil? I am guessing it would be 15wt. or can someone recommend an optimum set-up?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
JohnnyKZ,
In general most OEM fork recommendations for fork oil are way too thin. They opt for a cushy, sluggish ride...easier for the novice rider. I typically use something like 20 wt PJ fork oil as a start. OEM forks are usually way under dampened (and under sprung for that matter).
If you are going to have them apart (which I suggest because old forks are usually full of gunk) replace the OEM seals with something like the "low sticktion" "Leak-Proof" brand seals. Way better than OEM seals.
Those GS400-550's are tuff as nails...engines will take a lot of abuse.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
347 Posts
i use straight atf in all of my forks. in addition create a spacer made of pvc to increace sprung tension.
my $.02

-scott

·
Registered
347 Posts
i use straight atf in all of my forks. in addition create a spacer made of pvc to increace sprung tension.
my $.02

-scott

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i read somewhere that atf isnt good. becasue it isnt sae graded. so the weights can vary from bottle to bottle. just my .o2

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You know...PJ does make oil for forks....low fiction...good for seals, stable viscosity, anti-foaming.
Often things like ATF and motor oil were suggested back in the day because there was no such thing as oil specifically for forks.

Course I know nothing about setting up crappy old forks for the street, just setting up crappy old forks for the track. They might suck on the street with the heavy oil and springs I use.
JohnnyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts