Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bottom bolt on my fork lower is rounded out, tried easy outs but the just cut the bolt up more, what do i do?

also can i run my forks dry until a new bolt comes in, ( i mean if i get it out)

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dont run it dry. which bolt? the drain bolt? or the bolt on the bottom that hold the damper rod in place? i like the drill it out method. if its the bolt on the bottom that hold the internal rod in place, you have to use an impact driver to get htem out.

j

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how about posting some good macro pix of the current metal carnage........ even show what tools and such you've used on it so far

you are talking about the one whose head is shrouded in the counter-bore, correct?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wish i had a camera i would post more pics of my bikes progress for you all. someone send me a digital camera and i'll be sure to post all the pics you want.
the bolt is the bottom bolt that is recessed by the axle. not the drain plug but the bolt that screws into the bottom of the damper and holds the upper in. i have already ordered a new bolt but i still don't know how to get that old one out. its aluminum so easy outs are just widdling it down.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
so you have a hole drilled thru it's center?

all the way thru and it didn't cut thru any threads?

the screw is steel, correct, and secures into the steel damper....... the and the alloy lower leg is merely sandwiched.... correct?

can you sacrifice or slightly compromise the damper?

let me know and I'll get back to you with something that may work

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the hole is drilled a little ways into it, not a big enough hole to damage threads and not all the way through the bolt, where the hex shape used to be completely round, the bolt could be steel but its not standing up to a bolt out, they just keep cutting the bolt up.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Yeah, you're screwed. Not really, but this won't be fun. AFAIK, the bottom of the damper will spin unless you can hold it still. You can do that with the special magic tool down through the top of the fork tube to the top of the damper rod.

Or you can do the easy thing and get a large enough drillbit to remove the head of the bolt and just pull the bits out. You can remove the stuck bolt once you get the damper rod out of the fork. That's probably what I'd do.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
these work very good...

be sure to drill the hole deep enough, maybe an inch.

the style below sucks. i never had good luck with this style...

which type are you using?

·
Registered
123 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

Yeah, you're screwed. Not really, but this won't be fun. AFAIK, the bottom of the damper will spin unless you can hold it still. You can do that with the special magic tool down through the top of the fork tube to the top of the damper rod.

Or you can do the easy thing and get a large enough drillbit to remove the head of the bolt and just pull the bits out. You can remove the stuck bolt once you get the damper rod out of the fork. That's probably what I'd do.
I'm with Unga on this. Old Hondas are always presenting me with soft screws that round out almost immediately. I've had 100% luck drilling th heads off. Of course this is a tilltle trickier but if you get the head off you should be able to remove the dampening rod and extract it by hand or with a pair of pliers fairly easily.

Either way good luck.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am going to try and drill the bolt out tomorrow, as for the extracter i have been using the reverse drill bit type, they grip a little but then start cutting the bolt up. its just to stuck and too soft for the easy out to get a hold of it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
drill the hole all the way thru........ this will relieve the stress on it

then heat the bolt gently...... like from a distance and slowly....... with a propane or mapp gas torch

ice the bolt head and then try your luck

I hate the types of easy outs pictured above

they wedge in and swell the offending fastener making them counter productive as they swedge it tighter in it's threads

they typically only work when a bolt really isn't stuck

the real trick would be to be able to get the heat on the damper threads then chill the bolt

if you can find access to a wrench that has a splined set of extractors like I showed in the "stuck bolts" (I think) thread

those will possibly make your day

it can be gotten out

next thing to try if the heat doesn't work is

pour vinegar in the lower leg and let sit overnight

or maybe two nights

but clean as much of the oil out of it first

chase clean and dry with BRAKE parts cleaner

then acetone before pouring in the vinegar

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haven't drilled on it yet. i have someone with a bit more experience who is going to get it out.
a new question is what should i use to flush out the old oil? it definitly had water mixed in, and was very likely the original oil from 1981.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can almost always beat a torx bit into a shot allen head bolt. Hit it with a bit of heat, seat the torx bit in it with a brass hammer, hit it with a impact gun. Generally will work on the first try. If not then I'd go with drilling off the head. You'll be able to remove the remaining bolt from the damper rod by hand once it's all apart if you have to go that way.

But it sounds like you're on your way to getting the help you need.

Michael

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its free. a new one was ordered yesterday and i ought to be resealed and running fresh fork oil by the end of the week. wapped it with a punch and hammer and it backed right out. thanks for helping guys.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts