Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've got a '74 CB360. What is the trick to get the old fork seals out? I've tried dunking the body in boiling water to loosen it up, no luck. All I'm doing is managing to tear the seal into little pieces.

How do you guys get it out of there? Screwdriver? Pliers?

I am totally flabbergasted by this little rubber ring.

Thanks for the help,

Evan Ruff

·
Registered
602 Posts
OK, first off did you take the ring out that holds the seal in? #16 in the picture. In case you didn't know, that little rubber ring has a steel inner core.
Depending on how long they've been in there, they sort of weld themselves in. What I ended up doing was wrapping the lower in a piece of leather and put it in a pipe vice. I then went out and got a seal puller at a local Auto store that has a loan a tool program and after being really careful with a Dremel I cut a couple of notches in the seal and finally got it out. If you're not sure get a mechanically inclined friend to help or take it to a shop. If you wreck the seat where the seal goes in you'll end up buying a new lower

If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life....does that mean all the shit I do today can't be held against me?

Edited by - BANDIT on May 22 2006 9:43:47 PM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AH!

I didn't know there was steel in the middle. I figured that was the seat and the rubber went around it.

That being said, I'm going to give it another go tomorrow. I have a feeling they're jammed/fused/stuck in there. Might have to go with some mapp gas and brute force.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
347 Posts
be careful with all that brute force; if you scratch your fork tube, it and the new seal will be useless.

-scott

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
GTE,
You do have the fork tube out of the slider, right? If not, get it out. Then use a seal puller and just pop it out. Any auto parts store will have a leverage type seal puller for not much money, it is just a pair of hooks on the end of a lever arm. If the seal is really corroded into place I put a block of wood between the puller and the aluminum slider for protection. Lots of people try to pry them out with a big screwdriver. Doesn't work that often or well, but will put nice dents opposite of where you were prying and some nice gouges under the seal.
Good luck,
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts