Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any easy suggestions on pulling old fork oil seals from a cb500 fork. Man it sure is in there and I don't want to damage anything!

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:
Take the metal retainer clip out first :)

JohnnyB
Thanks JB.... I am not a master mechanic, but I am also not a complete idiot...so I am told. I read an article this morning on line that said you should fill the fork with water and put it under load. The pressure will pop the seal. Water is cleaner then fork oil and since you have to clean the fork before reassembly, the water should not harm the fork. Sounds like it could damage other components... interesting concept though.

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
How do they propose to "put it under load"? I suppose you could thread a hydraulic fitting into the drain hole, or maybe an air line. I've always just used lots of rags to protect the legs and lowers, and secure the sliders in a vise and let it rip. The fork tube won't distort before the rubber seal breaks loose. You just need to show it who's the boss.

FR

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
I've always just used lots of rags to protect the legs and lowers, and secure the sliders in a vise and let it rip.
you can also hold it with an old automotive belt and crank it down around the slider with a vice...the rubber gets way more grip than cloth and would break long before the slider would bend.

NCNR

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:
How do they propose to "put it under load"? I suppose you could thread a hydraulic fitting into the drain hole, or maybe an air line. I've always just used lots of rags to protect the legs and lowers, and secure the sliders in a vise and let it rip. The fork tube won't distort before the rubber seal breaks loose. You just need to show it who's the boss.

FR
the article just suggests you push down on the fork and compress it. If you have it filled up to the top with water, it will create enough pressure. I am not going to do it. There has to be a better way.
Here is the link to the website/blog:
http://www.nobugs.org/bike/forkseal.html

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you have access to a shop press (the big frame type) you can use that to force the seal out with water or oil; this is going to make a mess though. Watched this done to an upside down fork from a dirt bike that was particularly stuck, but watch out when it goes!

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:
if you have access to a shop press (the big frame type) you can use that to force the seal out with water or oil; this is going to make a mess though. Watched this done to an upside down fork from a dirt bike that was particularly stuck, but watch out when it goes!

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer
No access to a shop press.

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
" put it under load" ... means that you have to bring the front end to frontierland race and have fred cherry sit on it before he topples into the fire and or tent

ha ha

matt

latered

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Are the tubes out of the legs yet?
When the tubes are out, and the clip is removed I usually just stick a screw driver in there and pry them out. Usually they are pretty flimsy and just bend up and pop out.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
or if it's all still together, filler up with water, and do stoppies till she blows.
parks
p.s. get video of the procedure and put it on u-tube.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You could always remove the bottom plug and spray some quick start/ether into the hole and light a match. I am not sure how well it would work here but it works great for seating transport truck tires on rims

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JB - Tubes out...seals are pretty caked on...I should have changed them long ago. Real old and dried out (Kinda like Champ). The Seals for the CB500 also have a metal band in them (I thought that was weird). They are not so flimsy...unless I ordered the incorrect seal, which I am pretty sure I didn't. I'll figure it out or destroy it or me in the process.

I am a bit gases from my tex-mex supper lastnight, maybe methane gas will work...

Yeller'
---

Edited by - Pete Casper on Sep 26 2007 09:08:36 AM

·
Registered
569 Posts
quote:When the tubes are out, and the clip is removed I usually just stick a screw driver in there and pry them out. Usually they are pretty flimsy and just bend up and pop out.
also you can get a piece of 1" x 1/16 or 3/32 and fold it over the lip of the leg to pry against..so as not to dent the top edge , 1 good wack on the screwdriver is all I have ever had to do.

dch.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
im with jb and dale. they are trash....trash em getting them out. ive never had a problem getting them out usig jbs method. just pry the bitches out.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I prefer to party on them "load out on them" puke a bit and then pry them out the jb way hung over in the morn

matt

latered

1 - 17 of 17 Posts