Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have some serious rust on my fork tubes (right around the lower clamp).

I highly doubt this would propose a problem with leaks etc. it is purely aesthetic as I don't imagine I will be bottoming out my forks unless of course I dawn a red white and blue jumpsuit.

I would like to get it off but so far anything I have tried (rubbing compound, sanding w/1000 grit, scotch brite pads) has taken some off but nothing that will bring it back to what it once was.

I imagine some of you have experienced this, what did you do?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Not much you can do....once the chrome on a fork tube corrodes off...just steel underneath...won't ever shine like chrome again.

Depending on the bike, the tubes can be cheaper than you might think to replace.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
found this photo the other day, not a bad look

...connoisseur of slack...
Yep, looks like thats the ticket unless I can come across some extremely cheap fork tubes.

Thanks for the input guys.

Edited by - marz on Jul 06 2007 6:43:32 PM

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Hey you could always do what I did - swap front ends.

My front end is totally usable but I just couldn't stand the crusty stuff, I wanted good chrome on the forks, so I found a set of really clean CB750F forks. They'll mount in my triple trees, and I'll get a front brake upgrade into the bargain. Front axle and tube diameter is the same size as my CB450, so it's probably a matter of some spacers to get it all mounted up.

All this for less than the cost of 1 new fork tube.

My own project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scored some new fork tubes today, for $60.00.

The only difference is where my others had one hole about 6" from the bottom, these have a series of holes about 4" from the bottom. It doesnt seem this will make a huge difference but if anyone knows if this is not good... let me know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
the cycle exchange has new fork tubes for cb750's for 149 bucks a set. theyre a really nice quality.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, its like an oil relief hole.

the older ones have one hole for this, the new ones have multiple smaller holes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
why not just cover them with gaitors? if the size is right you can get gaitors for a sportster ('65?) for about 30 bucks; if the tops are the wrong size then use pvc pipe as a collar on the inside. I did this and it looks pretty cool, i think. I'll post pics one of these days.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts