Cafe Racer Forum banner

forkin

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  joe c 
#1 ·
hey, whats the fork oil capacity for my 77 550??

jc

#2 ·
quote:
hey, whats the fork oil capacity for my 77 550??

jc
yeah-

what are the specs for this front end, i'm doing the same to the 350...with a trick JohnnyB 450 drum. anyone know if i'll need a new axle too, or will the 350 piece fit? i guess i'll figure it out soon enough but if anyone has done this, let me know what to look for. i've already had to fiddle with the steering stop but it looks like the bearings will be the same. i'll be putting on a new front wheel too...should i buck up and lace a new rear while i'm at it...unsprung weight and all?

thanks. tt

#4 ·
here is an article on cb550 suspension tuning:

http://sohc4.us/?q=node/143

they say 200ccs of fork oil but those are for forks with their suspension mods. I am away from my service manual but 145ccs sounds close. If it can wait till tomorrow I will be by my manual then.

#6 ·
manual says for a 78 550K it should be 145-150ccs (4.8 to 4.9 ounces)for 5wt tranny fuild. The manual specifies tranny fluid because of its anti foaming properties.

Some of the SOHC4.com guys 10wt fork oil in the same amount to stiffen up their suspensions.

does that help?

#9 ·
hes here. i called and actually asked him, but he had a 500t book but claimed the number was the same. so i was using you guys as a backup.

and to finish the light of the saturn. drove through 6 hours of rain to get to geenfield. once i got there it started snowing. drove to the hotel that night, and it snowed all night. in the morning got up, and it was freezing and snowy. the power steering wouldnt work. sometimes when it warms up its fine but it never came back in. had it over at the shop yesterday, somehow they think water got into it and froze it or something. new rack. 1500 bucks. my girlfriend was pissed.

jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.