Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I recently changed the oil in my CB500 forks and now, they will not compress at all. I started by draining the oil out of them, removed the fork bolt, loosened the spring retainer, poured the advertised amount of oil in the fork, re tightened the retainer bolt and fork bolt. They will not move at all now, I opened one fork drain plug and recovered about 2oz of oil from it and .5oz from the other side. I put 5oz in them, any ideas? These things will not move!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Ryan,
They have too much fluid in them and are going into hydraulic lock. To get the all the old fluid out you have to remove the drain plugs in the bottom of the forks and let them drain a while with the fork caps off....then bounce on them (the oil will shoot right out of the drains so be careful), when you have all you can get out by draining and bouncing might want to dump some clean kerosene in them, bounce around some more, let them drain, bounce some more, let them drain...then add the advertised amount of new oil.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will try tonight!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Ryan....remember...before you bounce on them....put the fork caps back in !!! Sorry if you don't get this in time :)

JohnnyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts