Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

The Caferacer.net forums have been successfully upgraded.

We did run into one snag, in that the stupid F^%$&^#&ing IIS server that this host runs on caches information like, say, the entire old forums db. What does this mean? It means that we've had to adjust the path to the new forums slightly.

The new direct link is:

http://www.caferacer.net/forums (note the "s" on the end)

You'll need to update your bookmarks as needed. Sorry for this inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The flaming folders either indicate the number of closet clubman owners or a relative high number of posts over time. You pick.

The blue arrows take you to the last post (most recent) in that thread.

I do like phpBB but I didn't move us over at this point because of the database type we use - conversion requires a couple of steps which are...bug prone, and I wanted to be sure we converted all the old posts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, I agree. I just don't like/trust Snitz as much... I thought that we might have been just "starting over" with a new phpBB w/o the data transfer. I don't know, I guess this whole forum could be locked and left viewable for archive purposed, and users would be redirected to the new one. Some people wouldn't like it, and others would love it, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Ah! the joys of database management and the peons you et to crush with every keystroke!

Don't get me wrong -- THANK YOU for you hard work! The upgrades are immediately noticeable and really great. I'm not saying how you should do it, I'm saying how I imagined I would do it if Geeto came over and put a gun to my head.

borzwazie, some quick questions:
1. when you open the "general section" (or any other) can you make it so that it displays more than 15 posts on each page? Maybe at least 30 would be nice.
2. Links that have already been opened turn a shade of blue that is very hard to read against the forum's grey background. Can you tweak their color a little so they are easier to read?

Keep up good work, and by that I mean it looks like you still have a lot of work to do!:D:D:D Just kidding.

peace and grease
-fang

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by Fang

Yes, I agree. I just don't like/trust Snitz as much... I thought that we might have been just "starting over" with a new phpBB w/o the data transfer

<snip>

borzwazie, some quick questions:
1. when you open the "general section" (or any other) can you make it so that it displays more than 15 posts on each page? Maybe at least 30 would be nice.
2. Links that have already been opened turn a shade of blue that is very hard to read against the forum's grey background. Can you tweak their color a little so they are easier to read?

<snip>
Hi Fang, everyone else -

I changed the "visited link" color a bit, let me know what people think. I agree that the blue color was a bit over the top.

I raised the limit of page items from 15 to 20 - I don't want to raise it too high, because it doesn't just affect forum and topic listings, and I don't want to make pages too large. We'll try bumping it up, bit by bit and see how it goes.

As far as phpBB goes, if I can figure out a bullet-proof way to upgrade and migrate the data, I will do so, I like phpBB better myself. You can count me among those who would prefer not to have to search through inactive forums for older posts.

Please also understand that phpBB has some different requirements, and while JD's host does support php, I don't want him to get unexpected hosting or feature upgrade bills. He pays enough as it is to maintain this site, and we should all send him a round of boob scotch or two in thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
+1 I am all over that like flies on poop. Good work.

I like the new color of blue. Much better. 20 posts per page looks better too. I am actually surprised that you were able to do so much so quickly. Thank you!

-fang

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yeah, this is slick! Change is good, thanks Borzwazie, and as always, thanks JD and Aaron and all the other moderators and contributors that make this place rock.

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
jesus, i leave the board for a couple of days and it gets all modern and fancy.

three cheers to the borz!

thanks bro!

texy!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the kind words, all.

An excellent spammer check is to look at the most recent new members (sort on member since) and look at the crap in there. Most of the spammers put down something stupid like Albania, which is bogus, and then have all sorts of stupid spam links in their profile.

This is a good reason to have *good* data in your profile!

Often, these accounts are created several days before they actually do any spamming.

I wouldn't delete spammer accounts anymore - just delete their threads and lock the accounts. If you leave the accounts alone, but locked, they can't re-register with the email account they used before, and that makes the process a PITA for them. I'm all about giving spammers a PITA. Preferably a FPMITAP PITA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts