Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a 1974 cb125s in a barn. its missing the front brake sustem and the headlight is broken. other then that is alittle rough. but well worth the $350 bucks. i'll try to post picks of it soon. and keep a scrap book on the build-up.

motorcycle nut. anything that i can take and make it go fast.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great little bikes those Honda singles.

Probably overall the best motors(most Honda singles)mass produced when factoring in price,reliability,ease of maintenance,parts availability/support etc.

I've seen very few old Honda singles that couldn't be brought back to life with just a little bit of know how,a few parts and little effort.

I'd bet there are more Honda singles(or copies) all over the world than any other small bore motorcycle powerplant.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wanred something diffrent i really havent seen to many 125 singles turned into a cafe bike. so far im starting to build up some parts. this is what i already have in the shop
02 GSXR600 rear sets, alot of 1-3/4 inch tubing for my custom header im going to build. I also have some parts that im going to use to try to convert to 12volt system. IM going to use a ytx9-bs battery from a gsxr600, volt rec/reg. from the same gsxr600. I found a dynaTek IGN booste sitting on the self in the packing. also a single tower dyna coil. all i need is a good copper core wire. might just get a dyna red 7mm one to keep the IGN all dyna. Bandit 1200 headlight, oval led trailer stop/tail light. I have alot of boxes to look in. when i was building sport bikes with friends I kept all the stock parts and some parts off wrecked bikes. never know when you might need some thing.
I tought about cutting the stock honda tank and making it larger to hold more fuel. i'll post more later. again just building the bike in my head first and taking down notes. once i tear into the bike I'll have a check list of alot of to do's. trying to find a good cafe fiberglass seat. to match the lines of the tank.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good info. if i fab one i might have my buddy thats a metal worker make one from aluminum so its nice and light. My thing with this little mighty mouse is for it to be light and tyr to make it handle like its on rails. I already started looking at weak spots that im going to be Gusseting to make it stong and stiff. no flexy flyer once im done. soon ill have pics of what i have to start with.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i would love to see pics.
seems like everyone is building these little hondas.....i have a CB125 cafe and a CL125 stocker

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:
i would love to see pics.
seems like everyone is building these little hondas.....i have a CB125 cafe and a CL125 stocker

Do you have pics of your CB125 Cafe with the CL(high pipe)?
I'm beginning to prefer the high pipe look over the standard up-swept muffler look(like champs great looking CL).

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well still searching and found some good info so far. now all i have to do is find out how to get some of these parts i found and or have some made custom. if yoshimura had a 6 speed tranny. part number yr-6-32 for the cb125S I dont see why they couldnt sell me a copy of the specs so i can make new gears and shafts for my self. i would offer 200 bucks just for copys on paper.

I got a nice Kiehin CR 31mm race carb for my little honda.
powroll will be stroking out my crank and I'll be getting the 145cc BBK and get 175cc out of it once its done.

Megacycles Big bearing needle roller race cam shaft. with a custom slotted cam gear.

I also found out that maybe a LIFAN witch is a copy of the honda engine. witch comes in 197cc. has 12 volt system. i found a guy that imports these bikes and parts. thats gona hook my up to see if the parts will fit so i can upgrade to 12v system with CDI IGN. also
if the tranny gears will fit. with the ratios of the LIFAN and my sprocket choice I figure it should top out at 102MPH with my bodie wt on the bike at 9K rpms. no load top speed some wear around 145mph. all this comes down to I might have a HONDA/LIFAN HYBRD. but i wont swap out the honda mill for the import LIFAN. thats to easy. the new engine is 600 bucks with everything to make it run.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
the 200cc lifan is under 300 on ebay all the time.
where did you find the neddle baring cam for sale?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
megacycle #124-40NB. the specs are

Valve lift Dur. Lobe canter valve open / closed
.355" 273* 103.5* 33BTC/60ABC intake
.338" 270* 102* 57BBC/33ATC Exhaust

the cam runs $300
needle bearing install $129

you need to find race spring to fit the CB125 one piece head. they no longer make them. im searching for a set. this cam is to be used with modified piston and modifeid head. FUll Race cam.

Powroll, has piston and crank kits, plus race clutch springs for the CB125S.
Also the guy from the inportshop will be sending me a blown-up engine of the lifan 150cc. I talked him down in price to 400 bucks. for both engines. I hope to get this little honda mill screaming by this summer. also im still searching for some other parts that are still being made for these little honda singles need to get the most out of it to make poeple say what the heck was that when i pass them on the back roads.

Edited by - speedy81304 on Jan 28 2008 10:39:41 AM

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i thought mega cams stoped making the cam kits.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you now what. I dont like you any more. LOL they called me today about an hour ago. they no longer make the 124-40NB full race cam. but they do offer the 124-20NB kit. they only have three kits left. and one is already sold. so if you need one get it. 330.00 for the cam kit with out springs.

the specs are.
.314" 244* 100* 22BTC/42ABC
.307" 272" 104* 60BBC/32ATC

this cam they say is a midrange TQ cam. good street cam and great off road cam. for the XL125

they also have a full race cam for the 2 piece head with valve springs. i would like to know if a two piece head will work in place of the one piece head. even though they say the one piece is better.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got some parts coming from ebay. new cylinder and a new head from honda NOS. going to see what i can get out of her now. also my buddie is going to take my cracked cylinder and bore it out and press an alum sleave in it and bore it to fit the new 145cc piston kit. and nikasil plate it. yup putting to much time and money into a 125cc bike, why cause i feel like it. lol something called a new hobbie.

Edited by - speedy81304 on Jan 28 2008 6:06:01 PM

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
find swiss and the general on the xl board on the oldrice.com site. let me know what you think about them and there motors....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they look like they know what they are building. I been searching on every bit I can about building up my little honda. so far i guess im gona be looking for a big valve XL125 one piece head. or do what some of them have been doing. what i think is cool. is the CB,SL,XL engine are pretty much the same just little things make them diffrent. also its starting to like to me these little honda engine sound like small block chevys. parts inter changing and being made to fit and work. I'll email you on some of my finds later this week. i got so many notes, links websites and people to email about stuff. I need a break from this before i get burned out. TTYL

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
any pics yet?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how do i post pics on this site. im used to forms having the upload pic files. i have some pics of what i looked like when i bought it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
search out the subject in our FA-Qs. even i can do it now.
-parks

Edited by - parks61 on Feb 05 2008 5:11:09 PM

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're looling for a CL125s I have one for sale that's in great condition. It's a 1972 all original, runs great, has a new battery. 1713 miles. NOS seat and tank

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
if your going to try and sell something with your first post it helps if you take the time to say where the bike is or how much you want for it....you would have to do that if you were using sites that were ment for selling stuff and i like to think that we are alittle better then "those" sites.....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts