Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...anybody have a CDI type ignition coil that want to send me for free? Don't care what brand/color/type/shape etc. as long as it came off a CDI system or is intended for a CDI system. You can usually tell if the primary windings are about 1 ohm or less.

Thanks my brothers,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I just completed the mental inventory...nope, no CDI type coils. All the spares I got are pre CDI. Wait, Capacitive Discharge Ignition is what that means right? Which would mean no points and condenser I asssume?
If it would help, I could probably find an automotive coil, but I have no idea how many Ohms that would be, and my tape measure doesn't have a scale for Ohms...
No help whatsoever but sincerely,

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have a ton of H1 coils for cdi, but they are just like regular non CDI coils. I also have a cracked set of DOHC cb750 coils that still work they are also CDI but are just like points coils. The only difference is the resistance (I think the cb750 are 9ohms, the h1's I do not remember), do you have a specific range in mind? Do you need the whole CDI ignition?

Edited by - Geeto67 on Feb 21 2006 11:02:09 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typically CDI coils are like .8 ohms to 1.5 ohms. Many of the early electronic ignition coils where not CDI, they were electronically switched systems using the same induction coil setup. Basically they replaced the points with a solid state trigger but the system was the same as a point system.

Any CDI coil that works would be fine....doesn't matter if it's cracked or something and loses some voltage. Don't need the whole system, just a coil.
Thanks bros,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
I've got a Dyna coil that should fit the bill. It's the grey dual ouput version. I can send it tomorrow if it of use to you
BFD

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,
Yeah...if it's a CDI type I'll take it. Let me know if you want something for it.
Thanks,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
I just checked on the Dyna site and that coil is rated at 2.2 ohm. If that is acceptable to you I'll send it out
BFD

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
hey

i have a boyer brandsen electronic ignition for a cb 350 if anyone wants it. got it from frank smith a couple of years ago.

whatever

matt

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
yeah seth

i got this thing as a trade a while ago. it is all there, i have never ran it nor know how to set it up. it is missing 4 aluminum spacers to mount the coils on the frame, hardware and a battery.

i will email ya later

matt

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BFD,
I think that's a standard coil. The Dyna CDI coils are like 0.5 ohms.

I think it works about like this 5+ ohms (points) 1.5-3.0 ohms (electronic trigger), 1.0 ohm or less ( CDI).

I can probably pick one up off ebay for about $20. Hell I may have one lying around if I really look.

Matt...thanks for the Boyer offer...different sort of system than what I'm working on....so sell it to one of these guys for giant money.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes, The Damned are awesome.

Matt, Thanks bro, I think I can swing some spacers... Need anything?

JB, I have a set of these kicking about:

not sure of the resistance.... could you use 'em?

Check out this N.O.S. Delorean 0.7 ohm?(which, I DO NOT have)

....ah, just wanted a chance to bring this whole trip back to the future.

Joe, e-mail me your address so I can send you a board already!

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

Edited by - ROSKO on Feb 21 2006 8:05:29 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
like i need more crap!

thanks anyway.

a board...woopee!!

im going to get to brooklyn soon.

i swear. my friend is actually down here this weekend. and for all that know him, shes dating tom the sidecar guy from baltimore. turnbull, marshalls partner. aaron knows denise, and tom. anyway,

my mail address.

joe clancy
jc woodworks
140 n. kresson street
baltimore, md

what do i owe ya?? sweeeeet!

me

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rosko....I just need something old and crappy. This is for an experiment not something I need for a race bike.

I'm trying to prototype up a delay circut and I want to throw together some old parts.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
nah, its my shop address. all my junk mail goes there, and my secret toys. the serious shit foes to the house.

like my new gas tank.

eh hem....

jc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts