Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly chugging away at it and I am almost done. As far as paint goes, I still need to finish the oil tank. Here are two more pictures. You can click the big ones for bigger images. This evening I was working on upholstering the seat, and that is turning our super cool too. Then I will have to fab up a bracket fro the speedo/tach, fix the rear blinkers and I think it will be done.

My oldest little boy and my orangest little motorcycle.

Here's an old picture of Isaac and one of this bike's earlier orange paint jobs. Sorry for the small picture.

So I hope to be done pretty soon!

Peace and grease.
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pampadoriI did shoot clear over the decals. The checkers are individually cut out from a big roll of that white/silver 3M reflective tape. Cutting all those little squares about fried my brain. The clear coat is an automotive oil and fuel resistant paint.

hoopsnakeengineeringI added the twin headlights a few years ago. This bike's lighting technology is the exact same as Suzuki's early 1960's bikes -- one screw-in 35w headlight bulb. The stock headlight looked sort of interesting (horseshoe-shaped), but it was totally insufficient. I used to live in the mountains of Southern Oregon, and this bike was my favorite ride out there. (Even my buddy who raced his late-model 750 Ducati had a hard time keeping up in the twisties where he couldn't screw all the way down on the juice.) When it all boiled down to it, at 60 mph there was very little difference between the stock high beam and total darkness....
These lights are simple old tractor lights, and I figure that if I had owned this bike 40 years ago I would have done the exact same modification. I would have removed the crappy stock light and rummaged around for a sharp looking, cheap replacement that put some more light on the road. I think these lights cost around $8.00 each, and they sport H1 bulbs. I have them wired so that the low is the left side with a 55w and high is the right side and a 100w. I bent some scrap mild steel bar stock into a nice little light bracket. It looks good and works even better. Plus when I am really getting on it I can lean up there, grab my lights, and point them a little higher for a bit more light.

At first I was worried the higher wattage would drain the battery or fry something, but it has been several years now with no problem. The bike had a dead battery when I got it 6 years ago, and I still have not replaced it, so that's not much of a worry now days. LOL.

peace and grease
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350

Edited by - fang on Nov 27 2007 6:52:30 PM

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Geeto67[b/]
No, I am saving that leather for another project -- that leather is brown, nd this bike needed black leather. See my post about the seat upholstering here</u>.
You must have the memory of an elephant if you remember my dreams about about that cool old chair's leather. When this bike was British Racing Green, the brown leather would have been awesome, but I like the Fire-Ball Orange better.

peace and grease
fang

'70 Suzuki T350

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fang, nice Toyo van by the way. Those are oddities for sure. Would you classify that as mid-engine? As I remember the engine is under the floor aft of the front seats. Looks like you could take it off a sweet jump.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I love mu van. It is an '88 4x4 with a 5-speed, true hi and lo range. It turns tighter than a Jeep Wrangler, buckles up 7 people, plus it had rear AC and a little fridge up front that can hold a 12-pack.... I have more than enough room for my family, a friend or three, the dog, plus all our camping/climbing/divng gear... or it easily fits a bike in the back. Plus it is rust free and runs great. It really is a great little thing.

I would call it a mid-engine, and you are right that the the driver and front passenger sit on top of the motor. It is really nice off-road because there is no hood, so it is easy to pick the best line through the terrain, put your tire in exactly the right place on a rock, etc. Plus it has great visibility in traffic because the driver sits up so tall. I lifted it about 3 or 4 inches, and that helps too.

I really love it!

Peace and grease
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

No, I am saving that leather for another project -- that leather is brown, nd this bike needed black leather.
You must have the memory of an elephant if you remember my dreams about about that cool old chair's leather. When this bike was British Racing Green, the brown leather would have been awesome, but I like the Fire-Ball Orange better.
I only remembered it because it was such a neat idea that it had me looking at the recliners people were throwing out for months (who am I kidding I still look) for a suitable leather donor. Still haven't found one that had cool leather and didn't smell like a 4 month old dead dog and the only recliner I had that I eventually threw out was teal leather (I still gag thinking about it - will the 80's ever die?).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts