Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with fitting a front disc brake setup from a newer street bike onto any Honda CB models? I was browsing on eBay and finding tons of stock GSX-R front brake setups, along with other newer bike brake setups. The whole damn thing, rotor, caliper, lines/hoses, master cylinder w/lever, etc. I have access to a lathe and a vertical mill to fab some custom brackets and such, but I would like to know if the basic offset and stuff like that is feasible. Would my best bet be using parts from a newer CBR600, and stay within the Honda make?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greg at Ohiocaferacer.com has used a GSX-R front end on one of his CB350s. so...i'm sure you can work it out. the important things are the height of the stanctions in the triples b/c you don't want to mess with the fork rake. probably ought to have them the height as the OEM so as not to fuck with the handling. second thing is the offset of the new fork compared to the old fork. so, if you have the same rake your handing will most likely be a little different b/c of the change in the offset.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sitting around a friend's shop is an experiment we tried a couple of years back. I'll have to double check, but he started building an SL350 cafe w/modern brakes without going the whole "steetfighter" modern-(as in post 1990)-suspension-on-an-old-frame route.

If I remember right, an FZR750 "floater" disc bolts right on a CB750 hub. Caliper mounts have to be fabbed and, dammit, I can't remember what else had to be done. It did require some machine work, but not as much as you'd think. I'll check it out...

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Has anyone had any experience with fitting a front disc brake setup from a newer street bike onto any Honda CB models? I was browsing on eBay and finding tons of stock GSX-R front brake setups, along with other newer bike brake setups. The whole damn thing, rotor, caliper, lines/hoses, master cylinder w/lever, etc. I have access to a lathe and a vertical mill to fab some custom brackets and such, but I would like to know if the basic offset and stuff like that is feasible. Would my best bet be using parts from a newer CBR600, and stay within the Honda make?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks!
There are plenty of guys who whave swapped whole cbr and fzr front ends on their cb750s. The hardest part about custom brakes on a stock cb750 is figuring out which caliper will work with those super thick 1970's brake rotors. head to the bike junkyard with a ruler and a dial caliper - look for a bike whose rotor thickness and overall diameter is close to your cb750's. You can always get your rotor turned down if needed but you want something close to start out with. I know the kawasaki triple guys retrofit an ex500/zx6 caliper but they turn down their rotor or use a kz650 rotor.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's the key, turning your rotor.
If you're transplanting calipers as I am you'll find that the older ones are quite thick when compared to the newer discs. By turning them down you ony have to work out the caliper brackets.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts