Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's what I'm running into:
the previous owner of my Z1 added a second front disc brake. When I bought the bike, the front brakes were frozen so I took them apart and rebuilt them as well as installing new pads. The calipers now brake perfectly fine. The thing is, the pads are rubbing against the discs even when no brake is applied, causing the front wheel to not spin freely.

Any thoughts on how to rectify the problem? should I sand down the pads or ride it until the pads wear down? or should I take the calipers apart again and see if I missed something?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Take the pads out and check the distances between the disc and the piston. Also the distance between the disc and the fork leg / calliper mounts. Could be a spacer issue with the axle.

I wouldn't try and ride it to wear the pad down - that may take some time and is potentially dangerous. Worst case scenario is you grind some meat of the offending pad.

·
Registered
546 Posts
some bikes have more rotational friction than others- are you sure it is too much?
what pad and caliper is dragging? remove one or the other to eliminate one. did you ck the piston clearances, where they a slip fit into the caliper? all corrosion removed? proper dot fluid as to not swell seal. m/cyl ok ?
poor caliper alignment? where the old pads worn on an angle?
[email protected] vcycle

·
Registered
546 Posts
some bikes have more rotational friction than others- are you sure it is too much?
what pad and caliper is dragging? remove one or the other to eliminate one. did you ck the piston clearances, where they a slip fit into the caliper? all corrosion removed? proper dot fluid as to not swell seal. m/cyl ok ?
poor caliper alignment? where the old pads worn on an angle?
[email protected] vcycle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts