Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode my '76 cb750f over to a friends to store it in his garage while I work on it over the winter. While riding it before I knew something wasn't quite right with the front end but I can't quite figure it out. Things look straight when at a stand still but when I ride it, it seems like the whole front end is cocked (haha, I said cocked) to the left. I know the bike has been down before due to the crash bar having some minor damage on the right side. I already plan on tearing the front end apart anyway, but does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should look for? Besides the obvious answer of anything that's bent, I mean what specifically is the most likely culprit? The bike seems to ride pretty smoothly otherwise.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
First thing to check is the forks being straight in the trees. Pull the front wheel off, see if the axle slides cleanly and easily through the axle holes in the legs.
If it doesn't, then either the trees are twisted on the forks (nothing bent), or one of the tubes is bent. Easy way to spot a bent tube is to loosen it in the trees, rotate the tube just below the lower tree, watch the lower leg to see if it moves foward and backward.
If it's just the forks twisted in the trees I just loosen everyting up and eyeball it straight and tighten things back up. I'm sure there is a more precise method though.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on rebuilding the front forks anyway, so I was thinking that I would just tear apart the entire front end and basically roll everything in a smooth flat surface. Hopefully nothing is bent and something is just twisted slightly. I was just wondering if there was a "most likely bent" type of situation that I should pay special attention to. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i had the same sensation with my cb550. ended up the used handle bars i bought from a guy intown where slightly bent. the right side was slightly less pull back, and about .25" lower. not much, but i could feel something was wrong.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550
'76 cb750

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, when I ride it I'm pretty sure that the whole front end is twisted. If I look down at the forks, they look slightly off center from the line of the frame. I was hoping it would just be a handlebar issue, it would give me an excuse to splurge for some of champy's clip ons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts