Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '73 CB350 twin got crashed the other day. Since the crash, the front tire and the handlebars are not aligned correctly. The bars aren't bent, it seems like the tire is out of alignment with the triple trees. I thought it might be a bent fork tube, but I disassembled the forks and everything seems proper. The axle is straight and the rim is true. My guess is that maybe the upper triple clamp got knocked out of alignment with the lower. The fork tubes slide into the trees with no difficulty, however, which makes me think that they are properly aligned. Everything seems okay, but the wheel is most certainly crooked. Has anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
sounds like a twisted triple clamp - remember, when you pranged the front end the fork works on the clamp like a lever, meaning it will pull them both equally so being able to slide the fork in and out is no indication of them streaching. Compare them to a stock unbent set and see if all the holes still line up. Another way to check is to take measurements relative to the stem hole. The clamp fork holes should be equi-distant from each other as well as the stem hole (with the centerline forming the right triangle of that imaginary line up job).

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
It's probably just twisted as Geeto and Parks said but it should be easy to fix as long as the triple trees are not bent. Put the bike on a stand which will lift the front wheel off the ground. Loosen the bolts that tighten the forks in the trees. Loosen the top center nut on the top of the steering stem. Loosen the front axle nut. Then put the front wheel between your knees and straighten it back up. Tighten the top nut on the steering stem. Tighten the bolts that hold the forks in the triple trees. Take the bike off the stand. Bounce the front wheel pretty hard. Hold the front brake and tighten the axle. Should be good as new.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts