Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have posted stuff about this a million times. But....

I want to do a front end swap on my 73 CB 750. Mostly for the double disc. Im looking for a GSXR front end.. But what are your opinions?

Ive seen something about guys just adding a disc to the existing wheel.. What do you guys think? I want it to be nice. But Im seeing this front end swap could get expensive.. And if I get a front end obviously Im going to need a rear wheel to match which looks like it could be interesting?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
CB750 has bosses on fork legs for dual disc conversion (although swapping to larger diameter would be a good idea)
GSX-R forks are probably too short?
I got some 2002 750 to fit on my Katana (the 'special edition blue anodised outer tubes)
They are about 2" shorter than stock forks, ~28" compared to 30-1/4" for XS650 and 29-3/4" for Kat, measured from axle center to top of fork nut.
The XS and Kat are sitting on their wheels so may be another 1/2~3/4" 'unloaded'?
I don't want to loose ground clearance so I'm still looking for something long enough (no, I don;t want to sell them, they are exact length to replace CB360 forks ;))

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
gsxr forks are okay if used with the clamps they come with, you'll have to slug and reweld the stem to get the required length for the stock steer tube, a 17" wheel in front will be necessary too otherwise steering will be quite slow. I've ridden a 750 with a gsxr front end done right and it was quite good

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah from what Im seeing I can pull the stem out of the CB triple clamp and install it in the GSXR triple.. Which shouldnt be a problem for me.. I think the back end would actually be the harder part to figure out..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you searching an inverted front end?
I may have one off a 1991 gsrx1100 here.
I have a 1994 gsxr1100 fork on my gs1000.
1100 fork are the longest USD that can be bought "cheap"
Marc

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love the idea of an inverted fork and dual disc, but I just cant give up my spoked wheels and I would think getting that combo would be a pricey venture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Id like to stick to spoke wheels too. There is a few ways of doing it but Im looking at all the possibilities right now. Message me kochic if you have one and how much you would want for it..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yoshimura makes extended fork caps for another inch of length, for gsxr forks....

·
Registered
196 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kochic

You can still go with spokes wheel.
Marc
What fork is that? And what did you do with or what wheel are you using?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
THIS IS JUST PERSONAL OPINION< SO DON'T GET YOUR UNDIES IN BUNCH!!!!!!

I don't like the look of USD forks on vintage street bikes. If it was me, I would go with the front end off of an NT650 Hawk and run a big single disc on a wire 17 or 18 inch front wheel. I believe the front wheel from a Shadow is 17" and would fit with minimal spacer or bracket work. The combination of a bigger disc and better caliper should provide all the brake you need. If you really want to have dual discs, try using the front forks off a CBR600 F3 and I think you can use the stock CB750 hub and find the right diameter discs to match up with the CBR brake calipers. With the stock hub I would lace up a WM-3 18" alloy rim. Then just lace up an appropriate width rear alloy rim to match.

Ken

·
Registered
325 Posts
The royal crown purple is my bike.
The gs750 is not mine, I copied this pic from gsresources.com 3 year ago.
I will try to find info, i remember reading the post but cannot find it.
Marc

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ken,
I bought a 1989 gsxr1100 front end last year to put on my bike.
The front end is already on my bike, i still need to modify a interceptor 1000 front fender.The gsxr one look too angular.
I will go back to the stock headlight too and put gs750 side cover instead of the 1000 roundish.
Marc

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
The common USD swap on the GS's is the early 90's GSXR1100 front end. The steering bearings are the same for the GS's and the early GSXR's (up to 93 I think). The 1100 is preferred as the forks are a tad longer than the 750. Then a GS750 wheel can go in too (like the pic above).

No idea how or if this can easily translate to CB's though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
For spoked wheels some people use a Harley narrow glide hub. Cheap and they can run dual discs. I have a set of blue anodized gsxr 750 forks, bottom crown/stem and one 6 piston Tokico caliper for sale.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Gl1000. 1975-1977. Alloy spoked wheel, dual disc, 37mm forks, and the whole shebang bolts in without any machining. It is your cheapest option short of just adding a disc toy your existing setup.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
the CBR600F2 is a mechanical speedo drive but the F3 is an electric....learned that from the DOHC guys

Im still not 100% sold on the USD GSXR swaps because i cant see the spring rates and such being right after you swap. and even more so when you talk talking about doing a mono shock rear....fuller was wrong about how easy it is! there is alot of math that goes into suspension....so just new is not always better.

the GL swap is really the best "vintage" option.
then maybe a CBR600F2 swap like the DOHC guys do, im thinking about doing something like that on a sohc bike i have

Another thing to think about is the width of the rims. you can only go so wide on the rear.
check out the sohc4 board for some info on the swap, ID? or someone has a great write up on it and the front seems rather easy to instal
anyone actually have a gsxr swapped USD set up that they ride?
how is it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
With the first set of gsxr usd forks my bike rode like shit.
I found out later that one side have no oil in it.I changed the seals but cannot stop the leaking.
I fitted an another set of forks from a '94 gsxr1100.everything is Ok.
On the rear i have a gs1100e aluminium swingarm and Marzzochi shocks with a gsxr 5.5" rim.
Everything is thight but it fit with a mix and match wheel spacer,offset front spocket, sunstar rear sprocket mounted on the wrong side to gain a couple of mm and a 530 chain.
I will probably run the bike with a '89 gsxr RWU fork if i have the time to fit it.
if i dont have the time i will run another year with the USD set up.
My speedometer is a digital 19.95$ bicycle thing.
Marc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess the GL front end makes the most sense and will look the best.. I want to kind of keep the vintage look to it so its probably the best bet. Seems to maybe be a bit of work to find a GL front end though..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts