Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Just bought a 1986 Honda CB 450 SC for $800. Trying to build a Cafer Racer on a budget. The front forks (tubes) are bent up bad and would like to swap them for a used set. I have been researching and can't seem to find any pair for that year available. I'm looking for the tubes can I just get any tubes from previous years or what is compatible?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
before you spend another dime on this bike, have the frame inspected for cracks and trueness. If the forks are "bent up bad", the frame is likely to be trash and you'll be stuck with an 800 dollar paper weight.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
33mm forks, cb/cm 400, 450, cx500, Kawasakikz400, Suzuki gs400/450 all use that diameter. Length and axle size would need to be checked. As Farmer John said, make sure the frame isn't bent or cracked.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
GSXR1300R

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Clean the frame completely and look for rust, cracks and things out of alignment. Inspect for freeplay in anything that should not have freeplay. That's your inspection part complete, now locate your nearest motorcycle wreckers / scrap yard. I bet they have a bike just like yours and if you are really lucky it will have a decent front end worthy of rebuild service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
33mm forks, cb/cm 400, 450, cx500, Kawasakikz400, Suzuki gs400/450 all use that diameter. Length and axle size would need to be checked. As Farmer John said, make sure the frame isn't bent or cracked.
Would any year for this make/model work? All i really need is the tubes.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
If you can buy just the stanchion tubes as a part for that model bike you just need the tubes,
If you buy a whole fork that fits the bike used and it works, that might be just as cheap and a better solution, it gives you more parts. The fork still has hundreds of dollars in bushings and seals in the lower legs that you don't know the condition of yet.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Get a service manual for your bike, there should be one available free on the net somewhere. That is always the first place to start.

from carlsalter.com download Honda_CB450_servico.pdf it's close enough, not in english but deal with it. The one in that book has no slide bushings hopefully yours does, your forks might be a little different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts