Cafe Racer Forum banner

frontier land

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  joe c 
#1 ·
sorry i left with out sayin goodbye... i neeeded to get my arse home to kiss my son goodnight. got home just in time too. dudes...thanks for the gatorade, soda, o rings, advice and custom vinyl numbers.

time to dyno my skateboard

layter

#4 ·
Frankie didn't have to go to the hospital....yet. He was icing down his ankle and went to his trailer to lay down. But he's a tough bastard so you never know...he could be hurt worse and just toughing it out for the moment. Matt C. said he was ok.

Hey, it was a great day. I think everyone had a good time, quite a bit of track time for everyone and tremendous weather.

Matt, we all just kind of drifted out....good chance to pack up early and get home at a decent hour.
It was a great way to end the season.
JohnnyB

#6 ·
Well....I didn't crash.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The class structure was kind of strange. I raced in LightWeight...which included everything up to 250cc...including MT's, TA's etc. Plus Nichols on his hardtail 500.

In race one I got beat by Nichols. In race two I got beat by Nichols and Turk (I don't think Turk was in race one).

So in one respect I finished 2nd and 3thrd to Nichols and Turk. In the other respect...I didn't get beat by any 200's or 250's GP class bikes. So if it was a normal 200gp and 250gp race I would have won both of them.
Frank C. gave me a tremendous race in the 2nd race...he passed me on about lap 3 or 4 and I didn't get back by him until the last lap. Never seen him go so fast on his 200.

I put to use a few things I learned following Zack in our grudge race and they worked quite well. Appeared I was only running about 2-3 seconds off the pace of Nichols and Turk...but I asked Turk about it he said he was a bit off today...which I believe...cause he just created a breeze when he blew by instead of the usual tornado.

Pretty sure Aaron won all kinds of shit. That BSA he was riding was running really strong and he had it down into the 1:28-29s

It was a good day.
JohnnyB

#7 ·
Incredible weather for this time of year. Had a great time as well. Got a ride during practice on Pete Essaff's (SP?) sidecar. Thanks Bill! That was a blast. Definitly not an easy job.
Johnny B, I watched your first race over by the chicane. You were looking good. Thats about as much racing as I managed to see since my family was there and such.

Had a damn good time dicing with Vile, Syphers and Frank. That was some of the best racing that I've engaged to date. Awesome time, despite crashing pretty hard in turn 2. Just lost the front with a touchy brake on the last lap. Fluids everywhere. Fork oil, gas, and lube. Fuckin mess. Sorry guys. Looks like I'm going to Barbers now as a spectator and see the museum!

Bill D, thanks for the offer on the CB350. I just packed it in afterwards. Ping me offline.

Great first season racing with you guys. This organization is a class act all around!

Jeff Marcoux

#8 ·
Jeff- I'm glad you're ok. Didn't know you fell until after you'd already packed up and left.
Frank- Hope you're not too sore to type today, good to see you walking around.

The sidecar was so much fun yesterday. Being able to keep up with people is infinitely more enjoyable to being lapped(like at the beginning of the season).

JohnnyB-those pistons are gorgeous. I put them on the dinner table last night while I ate. It's pretty clear that you put alot of time developing the to design to get them to this level. Thanks again.

Gotta say it really fun to run on the big track. Nice weather played a big part. With the relaxed schedule it made it very low pressure. I didn't plan to bring the sidecar up to Frontierland so was glad for the extra track time.
bfd

#10 ·
Thanks for a great time, folks. I had two fun races despite shooting myself in the foot for the second by removing my velocity stacks and supertrapp discs and leaning the engine out to death. I just had to conduct the experiment to see what happened. Matt, if you're trying to teach me how to pass you're doing a good job of it, bastard. Just you wait until I can actually turn that thing in three...

#14 ·
Hirko spent the most beautiful fall day that we've had in quite some time at work. Friken work. In order to be able to go to Barber I need to have a project I've been working on done by next Monday. So I couldn't afford to take the day off.

That and the fact that the last time I planned to go to Barber I had my crash during the Frontier event two years ago. So I didn't want to screw things up again.

I would have rather been at the track with you guys.

Preparation. That's funny JB. My preparation is realizing on Tuesday before I leave for Alabama that my bike wasn't running at the last event on Labor day and I should probably try to figure that out.

#15 ·
Check the choke lever hehehe.

Usually my prep is the same as you did on Monday...work. Getting together the time and money to go, making sure things I said I'd deliver are done and rescheduling people to fill in for me at work.

You would have liked it, lot of very good but casual racing. Actually I think people went at it a little LESS hard than they do at Frontier, most people were more concerned with dicing with their friends than actually winning a race.
JohnnyB

#16 ·
dude

yesterday was awesome. the mega motor in my honda was a wake up call... i was going into shit alot hotter than i was used to.... i need to get my head outta my ass. george, don't worry i just want ya to feel better about yourself over the winter... your shit will be laytered next season.

time to go sleep

dude

#17 ·
matt-

running with you and baker and r.george for those first few laps in the first MW race was just about as much fun as i've ever had...three wide out of T2, passes in every other corner, watching your new hot-rod rip down the straights, pushing through traffic, and i think we all rode together for close to four laps. eff surfing dude, it was great racing with you. hell, spencer showed me his rear wheel a couple of times and hanging with reese in the pits was a ton of fun. i hated watching frank crash just in front of me and just when i was working the track with fred, champ, and the dillweed crew for the first time. frank, feel good as fast as you ride.

zack, aaron, jeremy....awesome work with NHF. it was so worth coming up early saturday to see all three races. it's really cool to watch this effort working out.

-tt

#18 ·
dude.... that three wide shit was sick!!!! i pretty much figured that we contacted cause you wanted to groap me. that was the best couple of laps ever. epic day i'll say

dudeness

ps... who won the paula cup? who won the ditaccio cup?... i want details people!!!!

#20 ·
tanner-

looked like aaron was walking away with the paula cup but seemed to run wide and ended up in the weeds....

our boy, dashing dom, may be faster than anyone had realized. but i was watching from the stands, so we could use some commentary from the pits? i must say, the Wanker Racing Group has never looked so good despite my best attempts.

-tt

#22 ·
The Dom has this power in bringing color to the track. It was fun out there and probably the most best time on the track yet for me. Still more work to do but I'm getting there!

The Dom - Layterd

"Dude just connect the dots on the track and you'll be ok"

#24 ·
I am totally blown away by the amazing riding you guys did this weekend
The whole Frontier Weekend blew me away.
Tim and Al - you kick butt!
I learned so much about riding, racing and wrenching and I felt super lucky to be there with the Wanker Race Team.

Matt "he Laytered me" Tanner it was an honor to cut your funky vinyl for your spiffy new racer. Dang can you make that thing go! I have a couple of fun pics of you doing your namesake and hanging out super far on turn 3.

It was cool to meet Rockstar "its tiring" Phinney and chew the fat at the fire
Sorry I missed you JD
shoot me an email about that idea you were talking to Aaron about.

PB you the Jam!
See in may if not in the gritty city.

Saw a few crashes this weekend but the scariest by far was the Honorable Frank Camelary.
Went down right in front of Tim on 3 and didnt even move for quite a long time
No Corner workers were even slightly in range of seeing it and I ended up running all the way around the bleachers and through the locked fence (good thing i am small) and down on the track to help him. Was signaling the unversal slow down motion to tell other riders coming around the bend to slow down and look out because Frank was laying right in a spot where it really was almost blind if you were riding around the bend.
By then Zack came along laid his bike down and was helping Frank up (thank God!)
I picked up Franks Bike and rolled it off the track
He lost a foot peg,
The left bar and clutch lever were pretty broken and the fork was tweaked
I have to say I was Pissed that there was no corner worked there.
So when I expressed that to them I was promtly recruited to help for the rest of the afternoon. (that meant i got front row seats to 3 and 10)
I am Glad that Frank is ok and hope that he is tip top soon.
He had me scared there for a while.
Thats one tough guy! Shoot!

It was Super cool to meet Mary - shes my hero- and to watch her ride
Dang you are fast Mary and solid as a rock.
JBranson it was great to talk to you at the campfire and see you out there
You both inspire me in many big ways.

Bill
I can not stop thinking about your bike
Thanks for letting me take her out for a spin
I know that I have no idea just what she is capable of but it made me really itch to find out.
I will email you and see whats up. CAnt stop thinking about it.

Alskee you rock all around and it was cool to be in your pit and actually get to help.
Good thing I brought my donor kiddie bike up to harvest parts from.
More awesome to see you ride

Tim "the Gardener" Tillman
It was like being in a movie getting to walk the track with you and Al
showing us the lines and talking about how to ride the track.
Track Lesson #1 for this newbie

George
THANK you for the trip to the Toy Box
HONDA HEAVEN!!
cant wait to go back and spend more time checking it out.

Jersey Girl
So Psyched to see you and hear all about your track day
You got me totally inspired
I love that picture of you riding
You have to send me that info so I can try it ok?

Aaron "718"
Now I want to go to Australia for that ride
nice talking to you and thanks for the SV650 info

ROSKO
Dude!
Get your butt out there!
Cant wait to see you racing.
how did your wheels go?
I think you are doing track time today.....

ok thats it for me

Later Skaters

#25 ·
Wish I could have been there! I am happy to report that Wankermobile 3 is in the basement workshop and work has begun in preparation for next season. (Never thought riding it down a ramp of 8 steps would be so much fun).

Walking the track with Tim and Al is a hoot. It really does get one motivated to join in on the fun. I just want to know who would play Tim in the "movie"?

See ya'll next year (if I can get the bike out of my basement).

Pete "Yeller" Wanker.

Pete

#26 ·
you guys dont even know what a track walk is until youve done it with me tex and tanner. that was you that time right matt?? maybe it was phinney. god, i cant remember. in the rain clmbing the billboards around the track and tex walking up the pit lane with his pants around his ankles? (tex does it wearing no pants and a bottle of tequila in hand) we did it one year with a container of margarita mix! tex, these guys have gone soft on us. save ferris!

jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.