Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I'm even more bummed than you.

I loaded up the van on Saturday. Got everything all set to go for my expected departure on Sunday afternoon.

Then three of us decided to go for a dirt bike ride Sunday morning. We spent a couple of hours riding on the local dirt roads on out non-dirt bikes. I've got my Suzuki V-strom 1000. Karl Smolenski has a Suzuki 400 and another buddy has an SL-350. Around 10:30 we were on the way to the diner to get some breakfast and to call it a day since I had to leave for NHIS around 2:00 in the afternoon. The roads were very slick since it had rained all night and the fog was pretty thick all morning. I started to break for a stop sign and the front wheel washed out and I went down. Ended up with a couple more broken ribs. And I'm moving pretty slow today. So it's looking more and more like I'll have the winter to get ready for next year. But yeah I'm super bummed as well.

Craig

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
craig-

so sorry to hear you're in pain and missing the races. like rosko, i'm dragging my ass around today wishing i were up at NHIS too...our solidarity does nothing to ease my mind.

otherwise, i hope everyone is having a good day and i guess i kinda look forward to hearing the reports.

best-
tt

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
craig....that blows. wow. you have got the worst luck with ribs. my god man, heal up quickly. sorry to hear it. yeah, its a gorgeous day here. sunny. little humid. nice westerly breaze, off the ocean, and about 70.

and tim, you have the worst luck of anyone i know with the collar bone. eeesh. rosko, keep your fingers away form the mill today will ya.

jc

·
Registered
345 Posts
I never left. Things just fell through - all I needed was someone to drive me there. Next year.

Sotomoto

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i just got back! it was awesome! i won every race i entered.......

texy

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
a few more than four showed, some who haven't been seen in a few years. the racing was superb. no bad get offs. close racing in many classes. in the ulwsv. race, champ did a great come from the back to get the young camel and dr. branson too. but winning that battle wasn't enough to steel the championship from johnny b. he won with an 11 point tie with champ because of an extra win. giro points would have worked but those points are only imaginary. i wish i could have seen that battle but was racing contiguously in another class. young camel did an awesome job of showing the gp 200 class how to lead by a mile and still not win. but johnny b didn't win sooner. so young camel clinched 200 gp with a dnf. the weather kept improving all day long and it was a fine finale. i already can't wait for may.
parks

p.s. aaron and jeremy were really fun to watch in the 50 and 200 gp races. only jeremy's helmet size gave him away in the gp 200 race riding aaron's honda. altough he's been working hard to emulate the elbows and knees out style arron's mastered, his helmet size proved to be the differentiating detail to tell them apart in the 50 race. they both rode really fast from what i could see. i think aaron even medaled.

pps missed you tt and craig. ow. be better for the banquet (sooner!) you guys.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Craig, best of all luck to you . . . we missed you.

I'm exhausted. Four practices, 4 races. 2nd in Singles and 3rd in Middleweight production.

An awesome showing by all, but to break the other bad news, BFD and Matt T did a turn over and Matt had to go to the hospital, though there are no broken bones. Lousy weather, though the track was dry by about noonish. Rosko, we missesd you, though Casper was there to satisfy us all . . . .

And Pete, you said you were done, your tank was leaking, but then you were out in another race , , , ,

JB and Matt camel crashed in the race, but they were both unscathed.

More anon.

Jersey girl, it was great fighting with you for a lap or so . . . but you're too fast. Baker has to get a better bike. And post some of those marshmallow pictures . . .

Great bonfire. fun.

Again, Hirko, best of luck to you. Heal up. And stay on the track.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
PS parks, that was a great race you had. You finished 2nd? And the kids had a great time. There were at least three boys there and a coupla girls . . . Made my life for the day a lot easier.

AND . . .. It's nice having you own private cheering section.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah...Champ talked me into epoxyin' up the split seam in my tank and give it a go. I went out for the sighting lap for FCB and only had one cyld. running.... they wouldn't let me in the Singles class, so I got my refund on the other races, which I will need to buy a new coil.

We have a caferacer.netter on the rules committee now, I will let him introduce himself because he may want some special title I am not privy to...

I know it is a year away, but I think the July 4th weekend race could be epic. Bottle rocket fights, etc. Peace all and good night!

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Oct 09 2007 11:48:05 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Probably the most fun I've at an event where I crashed one race and finished fourth the other race. ULWSV I got whooped by Donelan, Matt C. and Champ. Felt weird to actually be racing with people close by....don't like it...gotta fix the "A" bike :)
Couple more laps behind Champ picking up his lines and I might have caught him.
200GP... my routine first lap crash in the rain. "A" bike got bent. I've learned something...if it's raining and I'm in front...I'm going to fast. My streak is still perfect... I've never completed a race in the rain.

Appears I've won the ULWSV championship...but yes, merely on a statistical tie breaker. Kudos to Champ for some excellent riding, he can go quite fast when he really wants to. Also is quite good at the Rossi type mind games :)

My prediction for next year is that 200gp will be one of the closest, most hotly contested years ever. I think Donelan will be the man to beat. I think Matt C. and I will be fighting it out for second. Matt is getting a grip on the vintage stuff and gets faster every race. Can't think of a nicer, more talented bunch of guys to lose to.

Big thanks to Matt C., he fought with Champ as long as possible to keep him within my reach. But it wasn't to be, but when Champ passed me it was "game on" and it was all I could do to keep up. Also, thanks to my cheering section in T3, I heard I had a lot of guys pulling for me. It was definitely the hardest 4th place I've ever gotten.

Mary secured the 50cc SuperVintage Championship...so Clever Dog goes home with 2 big woods this year...just barely. Congrats to Matt C. on his 200gp Championship, well deserved. Congrats to Steve B. (LoneWolf) on his FCB Championship. And also I'm pretty sure Parker took home the 250gp Championship.

Aaron, thanks for the fuel. JD, congrates on more wood.
Good time considering the conditions.

Tannermatic...keep us posted how you are healing...could have been way way worse. BFD, hope the rig isn't torn up too bad, and you aren't too sore....the upside...crashes don't get much worse than that, so no more worries....bad conditions, heard it from all the sidecar people.

Decent end to the season, looking forward to what looks like a pretty good schedule next year.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
oh man... shoulder and ribs are not so good today.

that was one hell of a monkey catapult. maybe next season i will gas up my honda. had a lot of fun shootin the shit with everyone. see ya this winter

monkeyman

latered

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah.... That was fun!! That darn Matt Camel.Riding like a true "Champ". It was really fun chasing you guys down, scared the shit out of my self a couple of times. The folks in the stands told me I was spinning my rear tire going up the hill and the rear was stepping out..huh..didn't even notice cause my sights were on johnnyb and matt. At one point I looked back on the straight and there was johnnyb, what a sight, quite intimadating!! He looks like a giraffe on a big wheel!!! Johnnyb, thanks for a great race!!

It was good to see everybody walking around with smiles on there faces. And for those that couldn't make it you all were missed. Everybody heal up and prep those racers for next season.

ps not so fast on the ulwsv championship..it seems there are other classes wih ties and coy is pondering on what to do

JS

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Not the most fun day I've had up there but it was good to see Matt in good spirits, even if was Percoset induced. The rig looks like a fat man just back from the beach- there is sand everywhere. Gotta start on it tonight. There is a driveshaft clunk that shouldn't be there and there is only a week to fix it before loading up again.
Glad to witness Bruce Smith taking his first medal in his career and watching the Strempher/Branson battle for the belt.

Get those Jerseygirl tshirt orders in now

At speed Jeremy's head looks appropriately sized. Must be the helmet graphics
bfd

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Thanks to that Hayden 888 guy for the great dice in Cosmo. I need more motor. Fun watching Jeremy and Aaron go through t3 with the foot down. They need more motor too.

The RDs brakes were making funny noises, so no middleweight for me. The TZ... yeah I didn't want to drop that in the rain, so no F1. Next year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There was some great racing by all to be seen Mon. afternoon after a morning of wet and slippery practice with many falls and a few injuries as well. Here's to a speedy recovery to all who got banged up and for those who have bike fixin' to do; not too bad hopefully.

I took many photos at corner 11 during most of the races. Will be posting those that came out decently soon. I still can't put together that many names with numbers however.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
504 Posts
It was a pretty good day even though it started out wet. When Matt passed me, and everyone else, into T1 I knew he was going to crash. JB and Matt were riding like it was dry.
My slightly illegal 125 never ran so fast. It was great fun trying to catch the Lone Wolf and then a wire came off the coil. I think I was running in 3rd after the crashes.
The ULSV race wasn't much fun after the front four pulled away so I pulled in to watch them.
Pete B. and Joe Ruth will have 200's for next year and I think my 125 will be fast enough to stay near the front.
Sorry to hear about Craig and heal fast Monkeyman. You and Pete B. need some velcro to keep you on the chair.

FC

1 - 20 of 75 Posts