Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Flies are nearly done for the season, it only gets better for the rest of the year (y) ground is almost too dry here now for optimum traction, everything turns to peat moss. Water is low but the fishing is good 馃悺
The water is so low at our cottage that we had to take the boat out as the gunwale is below the bump rail on the dock. The dock has been there for almost 60 years and never has the water been this low.

Registered
Be careful this information has been declared top secret. Unless remove from the skif by TrialsRider than it is clearly declassified.

Shit is drying out everywhere. Until the floods hit.
The real worry here and likely with Trials, is these lakes are spring fed, so generally there isn't a large fluctuation in water level.

Registered
Is this an opportunity for me to nerd out about groundwater percolation rates (and apply my masters in Geo-engineering... aka rocks-for-jocks)?
Yep.
Somebody reaches around behind you and touches the dowsing stick with only finger tips making that stick twist out of your hands, you will be convinced there is possibly something more to it. Most of the wells I had drilled were located by 3 different dowsers and at 3 different occasions. Very strange they all identified the same spots to try drilling, but also very reassuring. None of them claimed to know how deep the water is, only that there was a strong or weak pull. 2 of them used wood and the professional driller uses steel wire, suggesting it is the person and not the device that makes dowsing work. The wood stuck is more impressive because after they are done, the wood dowsing stick is a twisted mess or they didn't locate any water.

Want to know where there is a good source for well water; in the olden days when they wanted to locate a church somewhere, the first thing they did was witch for water, and naturally the last thing they did was to start burying dead bodies right next to it :oops:
The big problem I have with dowsing is they can never tell you how deep the water is and in our province you are going to hit water, at some point, pretty much anywhere you drill. If you end up $10k deep, was the dowser right?

Registered
Oh oh, found a new toy I might need, it's called a widescape standup snowmobile :cool: 250cc 4-stroke single track machine that weighs in at about 200 pounds(y) finally, a snow machine that can go anywhere.
I had Ski Doo's go anywhere sled, 1974 Elan SS. It came with a 294 with Tillotson carbs. I put in a 340 with Mikuni's and a tuned exhaust, studded the track, widened the ski stance and that thing was a blast. It was easier to bring the front end up than on a bike.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Snow Hood

Registered
Looks like Niagara County has a club. Most of the bikers I have met in Erie County have been more into beer than any riding. I have been invited to a few road rides and it's always more of a beer crawl with football talk. ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I don't ride anything in groups anymore. I had some guys that would come up a couple times a year to go for an ATV run. From my door you can ride through thousands of acres of crown land and cover a couple hundred miles in a day, of tough riding. That's a good days riding through the bush.
These guys would pack up coolers and would want to take beer stops constantly and half way through the day would be getting stupid. At that point I would turn for home, knowing it was only getting worse from there.

I doubt there is much beer drinking takes place at Trial's during riding hours. There is nothing going to give you a better smack, even on a short drop, than the pink granite all over his property. That was always my greatest fear with the ATV drinkers, the damage they were going to do to themselves....and me having to deal with it.

Registered
Snow conditions were much better today :cool: the motorcycles worked as good as the snowmobile today and weather forecast looks good for another great ride day tomorrow.
I was in your area today. It looks like with the warm weekend that's coming and then a decent freeze, you'll have a really good base for the winter

Registered
You h
We got snowed on so I've been packing down the trails with the Snoscoot
Riding motorcycles with friends today (y)
You have had a pretty good run of weather so far, decent temps, not much snow. I'm not convinced we are going to get much real cold unless it comes in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

It's still lousy for sleds here, you hear the tourist on the weekends but nothing through the week when the locals run. The is no base and probably only 6" total, so you are just pounding on rocks. And it hasn't been cold enough to really tighten up the lakes to the point where you know you're on good ice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts