Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a question for ya lol, i went to school with a guy that swaped his old school gold wing over to fuel injection, i asked him about it and he said he got all the parts off of a ford festiva, i didn't realy get a chance to talk to him about it a whole lot or ne thing like that, but would ne body have an idea about how he did that or what parts he all used? i have been thinking about that and it has kind of been bugging me a lil lol just cuz i am not sure how he got it to work lol

the lil guy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
go check out megasquirt for ideas on home made fuel injection.

BTW you need to identify your bike whenever you ask bike specific questions.

the gold wing is an easy bike to convert to FI because it is a flat four fed by two carbs unlike the four carb setup on an inline four.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The Festiva stuff was probably sized about right to a Goldwing. I think a Festiva's like a 1.6L.

You'd need a fuel pump capable of around 40 psi. There's aftermarket pumps available for street rods and such. The stock pump is in the tank, probably can't convert it. From the donor vehicle you'd need injectors, mass airflow, throttle position and O2 sensors, and of coarse the computer and some means to reprogram it. Make a plenum, mount all that shit and screw with it till it runs. How hard could it be? LOL

If you wanna make baby steps into the modern world, weld an O2 sensor bung into the pipe and either use a multi-meter or buy a fuel mixture gauge to tune on your carbs.

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The megasquirt stuff intriques me, I've never seen it before today. Carbs are obsolete technology. Put an O2 sensor w/a readout on your carb equipped vehicle you'll see how bad carbs suck.

I've got an old truck that's kinda a family heirloom, I've told my one nephew it's the only thing he can count on receiving from my estate LOL. I've been debating what to do with it engine wise. I'd like to build a Vortec headed 383 for it, but want it injected whatever I do. Megasquirt might be just the ticket.

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
The Festiva stuff was probably sized about right to a Goldwing. I think a Festiva's like a 1.6L.
This is carb thinking as applied to fuel injection. Generally speaking throttle body size really doesn't matter with FI because 1) you can adjust the injectors individually to each cylinder's airflow, and 2) as long as you have a way of keeping a reasonable amount of air velocity coming in the engine. Engines draw the volume of air they need through vacuum, we contol that through throttle bodies (in the carb or FI it is the butterfly valve)in order to create a range. With carbs size matters because the air fuel charge is coming in the same way, but with FI only when the throttle body is to restrictive to allow a decent airflow or when it is so large the air velocity drops to near zero (either gigantic or really really tiny) does throttle body size really play a role.

The biggest hurdle you will have in an FI cb750 is figuring out a way to do the temp sensor, since the FI needs to know when the bike is warm to make proper adjustments. My personal solution to that is to install an oil temp sensor since it is an air/oil cooled engine that should be able to give a consistent reading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts