Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently built a cafe brat scrambler type bike using a Yamaha 125 YBR as the donor.
Because i have changed the tank i lost the original fuel pump that lives in the tank and had to opt for an external one from ebay.
now the bike will start but cut out as soon as ANY demand is wanted.
Any recommendations as to what pump to use?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Electric or vacuum?
Connected properly? Air leaks? Air vents? Line Kinks? What's the capacity of the original pump vs the new?

·
Registered
760 Posts
carb or injected?

if carb, is the carb float bowl above the bottom of the tank? if not, there's no need for a pump.

will it not ride, or not rev above idle?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
2008 on uses fuel injection and will need a much higher pressure pump. Typically, external pumps are 1-4psi and for fuel injection you would need at least 35psi or more depending on the design.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
It likely can't draw fuel fast enough, you need a big low pressure volume to draw from to feed a fast high pressure output rate, with no air cavitation reaching the pump. What are you doing for a return feed?
oops you do realize it probably has one of those, in Fi the fuel goes around and around and around except for the bit you burn.

A picture of this would be interesting, what are you going to do with it, pop lots of wheelies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts