Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate riding west in the late afternoon/early evening due to the low sun making it hard to see, and using my left hand as a shade isn't the safest thing either.

So, any recommendations for a visor on a full face helmet w a flip up face shield? I only recall having seen one once.

Wont be riding anytime soon....-7 right now..

thanks!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Helmet make and model makes a huge difference.
If you have more then one decent clear visor for your existing helmet, maybe you can cover one of those with dark or silver reflective window tint film.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Bell 500 and a bubble shield I got off of Amazon for 15ish bucks. The shield is practically like new even after a few years.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have a Nolan N104 that fits the description. It's worked out pretty well, noisier than my Shoei GT Air but a lot cheaper too. I'm not even sure if the N104 is current these days, I bought it in 2013.

EDIT: Oops, I read that as you looking for a flip up helmet with a retractable sun shade. Nevermind. Though while I'm editing, the N104 is being replaced with the N100-5

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Arai has a cool new accessory visor that deals directly with this issue. https://www.araiamericas.com/products/pro-shade-system-sai-shield It fits over your existing shield, and flips up or down as needed, covering only the upper part of the base shield with tint. I haven't tried one yet, so I can't speak to aerodynamics while flipped up; or to it's effectiveness overall. BUT...when they introduced it last year or so, I thought it was a pretty clever solution to exactly this problem. Only available for their helmets, though.

There's also Scorpion, and a few others, who offer helmets with a built-in drop down sunshade, generally activated by a lever on the outside of the helmet. These drop down from the inside of the shell, behind the standard visor. Certainly less expensive than a new Arai and the accessory shield. Example: http://scorpionusa.com/products/helmets/street-helmets/exo-at950-solid.html

Neil

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Oops, I completely missed the point you were looking for a new helmet that has the feature, Check out Nexx Helmets, they have that on some of their full coverage helmets:

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy. I will try to explain what I am looking for better-

back in the day with a 3/4 or shorty helmet you could get a snap on visor--like the bill or brim of a baseball cap (NOT a face shield). I am looking for something like that which would work on my full face helmet, though it would have to be engineered to allow the face shield to flip up. I do not want to buy a new helmet, just the visor (or shade, brim, whatever you know it by)

it would shade your eyes the same way a baseball cap, worn the correct way around, does.

Some dirt bike helmets have the brim, or visor, but no face shield.

Does that explain it better?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
There you go ;) the down side of a peak is that it catches a lot of wind, the poor mans solution to what you are looking for is simply to put some tape across the top portion of the flip up shield:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts