Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like might have a good job in a sort of crappy neighborhood, what would be a fun and good commute bike that would have low curb appeal to the thieves?
This would be used for a 20min commute rain or shine all summer.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
KZ400, CX500, CM400E, XS400, XS750, XV750.

Ken

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it would be hard to actually buy a cm or a cx that could possibly make them the right bikes for the task.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
OK My real answer is a DT400 or a TS400. I think a big 2 stroke single would be fun. If not that then an XL350 or DR370/400. Of all those, the TS400 would be my first choice.

Ken

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Honda FT500 Ascot...if its a crappy neighborhood the streets are going to be full of potholes, drunks, old tires, shopping carts, etc...so you may want an XL500.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of an FT500. I wish I could find an FT500 I never see them around here, XL's on the other hand are everywhere.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by Pete Casper

a crappy neighborhood the streets are going to be full of potholes, drunks, old tires, shopping carts, etc....
This sounds like the area.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I believe the FT motor was based on the XL motor. If I had a choice, I'd get the XL. Dual purpose is the way to go! Weekend dirt riding, weekday day tripper.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
as someone who lives in an area where bike theft is a real problem, let me tell you a dual sport is not something you want. KLR, DR, XLs and the like are easy targets for bike thieves and they want them. My neighborhood has tons of guys who ride those bikes and they are always in need of parts and constantly on the hunt. anything that started life as a dual sport it not the way to go.

FT honda sounds like the move, even the VT500 ascot.

now if you started with like a cb400T and fitted longer shocks and forks to make it more of a dual sport, that would be the move.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
as someone who lives in an area where bike theft is a real problem, let me tell you a dual sport is not something you want. KLR, DR, XLs and the like are easy targets for bike thieves and they want them. My neighborhood has tons of guys who ride those bikes and they are always in need of parts and constantly on the hunt. anything that started life as a dual sport it not the way to go.

FT honda sounds like the move, even the VT500 ascot.

now if you started with like a cb400T and fitted longer shocks and forks to make it more of a dual sport, that would be the move.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really think the FT500 is what I will look for as I have wanted one anyway, I am a big thumper fan.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really think the FT500 is what I will look for as I have wanted one anyway, I am a big thumper fan.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'll sell my FT. I don't know how you would get it, but it looks like I'll be moving, so I need to get rid of some bikes.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'll sell my FT. I don't know how you would get it, but it looks like I'll be moving, so I need to get rid of some bikes.

Ken

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
if you don't want or can't figure out ken's bike there is a guy on the wera board (allentown, pa) selling an ascot....$900.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
if you don't want or can't figure out ken's bike there is a guy on the wera board (allentown, pa) selling an ascot....$900.

tex

1 - 20 of 32 Posts