Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, forgive my ignorance on this one - I'm a wrench-turner, I don't do aesthetics (seriously, it's a wonder I can dress myself).

Suppose I've got some cheap emgo mufflers plated with that sad excuse for chrome. Now, imagine I want more of a satiny rather than chromy finish on them. Could I put said mufflers to the buffing wheel with some compound and make them less shiny? Or would the compound chew right through the chrome? And is it likely I'd be able to produce a consistent finish? ...and, were this to work, what compound should I go with?

Thanks buds.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you can't really do it after the fact. a satiny finish is usually achieved by the surface quality/treatment before plating. chrome is tough stuff and fragile too. it's hard to change it's appearance (except for scratching it) and you can easily burn through with a buffer especially on sharp edges. all you'll do is generate future rust spots. if you want to spend some money (a lot) go to a restoration plater and tell them what you want. probabley not a worthwhile play with "cheap emgo mufflers".
-parks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, that's kind of what I figured, but was hoping it wasn't the case. Chrome it is, then.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Why don't you just try some clear heat paint? Definitely not as shiny as bare chrome, and isn't going to eff up the metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts