Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this question on a Suzuki only site. " anyone know of a simple screw on gas cap that will fit these bikes (or at least ones I can try) so I can do away with the key locking type that is fitted OEM" This is because we plan to race these motorbikes is events where we will need to make fuel stops and I don't want to have to deal with a key lock that could jam or the key get lost. Race bikes (unless you are being controlled by rules) don't need or want keys. Keys get lost and locks jam just one more thing that fly's in the face of keep is simple stupid . If I don't do this I will fuck up !

It was all in all a simple question and what I got was everything from how to install a Le Mans / Monza cap to "how much time could it take to unlock a key lock ? " and "how hectic can the racing pits be at the Manx " and all I wanted was a simple answer or a we have no bloody idea.

So here I am on CR.net asking has anyone found a gas cap that will change out with the Suzuki locking ones of the early '80's I know how to weld in a drybreak fuel cap but I'm looking for a quick and dirty fix. Please help if you can or at the very least tell me "your screwed mate get the TIG out and go to work"

The CR.net always comes up with stuff so thanks in advance if anyone has an idea.

:mad:Cheers:unsure:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have seen, on old equipment, where the rigger has welded a threaded, male nipple, over/around the existing inlet and used an old style, threaded gas cap. It would be pretty quick spinning on/off and give a positive feel and seal when rushing through a stop.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woodman I suspect this is what I'm going to do as my only choice. You can't use a drybreak because on the IOM you must use the fueling system they provide with you supplying the gas.

I'm sure it is one way that the promoters keep everyone one an equal footing. No super quick Drybreak fuel rigs for the teams with the big bucks. We all fueled at the same rate

Thanks for the input. Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts