Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do some work on my gas tank on my cb550. I wanted to bang in some lag "reliefs" and square out the tank a little. Anybody done this or know how? or maybe a link on some instructions how to do it??

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I think Geeto67 is the resident expert on knee indentations. Are you going to put clubman bars on it?

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I thought this thread was about relieving "Gas Tank Leg"...which I always thought was when your tank leaked race fuel on your leg on the first lap and it was like clorox on your balls a couple of laps later.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Quickest way is to bash them in with a hammer.

Better way is to cut out exactly opposite shapes on either side of the tank, and weld the left on the right side and right on the left.

But welding gas tanks is scary.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
save yourself a very pointed and painful thrashing right now and scrap the idea unless youre planning on stretching the length and actually need reliefs. if you don't need the clearance, banging up the tank for the sake of a very cliche look is just fuckin ghey.

for your sake, you're lucky i got to you before geeto did.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
and if the first image of a hammer that came into your head when unga said hammer was a claw hammer then you have no business working on bikes at all.

There are specific bodywork hammers for this kind of sheetmetal manipulation.

But before we get to that.....

...Why do you want knee dents?

If it is solely a "looks thing" to be one of the other cafe lemmings out there now then I advise against it. Honestly they just make your bike less useful because it decreases the fuel capacity.

If you are fitting a bigger tank and want clearance then it makes sense.

you can do a search on this site as this issue has been done to death but be forewarned, most of us here are the "function over form" side of cafe racers and there are a lot of unkind words about knee dents. http://www.dotheton.com/ is the board for the form over function side of cafe racers so you may want to search there.

Also there are several good posts about it at SOHC4.net - just search around.

From what it sounds like you want (squaring the tank + knee dents) you may want to just get a different tank. The amount of metal work involved (hope you can weld) in "squaring" the tank out makes it easier to find a wider tank in the general shape you want and work inward. Some likely canidates are a cx500 tank, cb750F tank, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
by the way, don't take the verbal thrashing that you're not wanted here - consider it helpful advice delivered bluntly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are we still talking about his nads?
quote: Quickest way is to bash them in with a hammer.
Better way is to cut out exactly opposite shapes on either side of the tank, and weld the left on the right side and right on the left.
quote: save yourself a very pointed and painful thrashing right now and scrap the idea... for your sake, you're lucky i got to you before geeto did.
He must have big ones if he has to modify his tank to make them fit. I personally would nor recommend bashing your nads with a hammer -- any kind of hammer, Geeto.

-fang

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Welcome, Gar!

Listen to Geeto and Catboy. They are telling you what's what.

You got off easy with Geeto, by the way. He sometimes withholds the full force of His Wrath concerning tank indents and clubmans, as a courtesy to first-time posters.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you want to stretch a tank, here's a fine example from Catboy's bike:

It takes some seriously skillfull cutting, shaping and welding.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Please don't cut up or bang in your tank - if the part is decent either keep it or sell off to someone who is restoring a bike and needs a tank. Buy a tank that fits your needs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by steve barker

If you want to stretch a tank, here's a fine example from Catboy's bike:

It takes some seriously skillfull cutting, shaping and welding.
dude, if you're gonna use somebody elses shit to make a point you should ask. that tanks nearly done now and the pic you threw up was was a VERY early fit/proportion reference only. NOT a good example for the puposes of this thread, ya dick!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Jeez, I was just trying to be helpful. Gar was asking about how to modify a tank. I thought that photo showed how it's done. I know it's a work in progress, but that's the point - it shows how material is added to make a cafe tank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts